Skip to content

Removing Backlinks

Today I decided to check out my backlink profile. My site dropped from page 1 last Saturday to page 3 so I thought I would see whats going on.

I noticed I had a lot of warnings on my links so I wanted to investigate further. I used Remov'em to see if I could identify all of the bad links and go about removing them. The results are nuts! They were all created well before I started using GSA so it must have been an SEO guy who I was using before.

I have 2300 backlinks, 500 of which are for the same exact key word! Talk about over optimisation! But thats not all - All of them have the same stupid article on them and they are all on the same IP address.

My questions are to anyone that can help me :

Does this matter?

Does the same IP mean its the same webmaster?

If I go down the route of contacting the webmasters and they refuse to remove the pages then has anyone had any experience with the Google Disavow form?

Dumping the site is not an option as it is a business.

@Ron, @2take2 and the guys- Please help!

Comments

• Hey dude - I've done this before, and it's not easy, but it is doable. Is this a manual penalty (Notification via Google Webmaster Tools) or algorithmic - rankings just drop with no warning?

• bellathecat78bellathecat78 Cardiff, Wales
    Hey! Thanks for getting back to me! No penalty has been issued by google - its just a drop in the rankings.
  • If you got hit by penguin, pretty good chance your rankings won't come back until the next update.

1. Download the Links From Google Webmaster tools.

2. Run them through scrapebox to find out which ones are still alive.

3. Save a list of dead URLs and disavow them.

4. Run the live links (full URL) through Majestic's Bulk Backlink checker.

5. Download, and make note of spammy links. Low Trust Flow vs Citation Flow.

6. Disavow them and pray

Manual penalties are way easier to solve.

Thank you so much for this!

Its gonna take some time but I will get on this tonight. 

So I should not be afraid of the disavow on Google? I have been worried they will then manually go through all my links and nit-pick 
    :-SS
  • Not as far as I know. Just send the list to Matt Cutts and his minions from hell.
    SWEET! I really appreciate this dude. 

A big thank you from Cardiff!!
    :-h