Skip to content

Question about stopping & starting projects

If I hit the "Stop" button and stop a project, then hit the start button to start the project again, are there any negative effects?

Will it start back at the beginning of the URL list that it is using, and try building links to the same sites that it already used, and submit the same articles to the same site that it already submitted to?

And do I want to clear out the "Target URL Cache" every time like Ron suggests that you do when submitting to a new list?

Or does it just continue right where it left off, when you stop/start each time, with no need to "clear target URL cache"?

Thanks!

Comments

• ronron SERLists.com
    edited October 2014
    @mattb348 - There are no negative effects. The target URL cache remains so long as you don't delete it.

The reason to clear out the target cache when you get a new list is to start hitting the fresh targets. It doesn't get any better for posting than when a list is new and fresh. So why make SER process old targets when you have new targets waiting? It doesn't make sense.

Leaving all of that aside, If you stop SER, it is best to shut it down and restart it. When you do that, the memory cache purges and SER hits the ground running very fast. I typically close out SER once per day to take advantage of this 'kick in the pants'.

Lastly, when starting a new list, or for that matter before I close down SER each day, I run Active(V) to milk every verified link out of submitted. It takes about 10 minutes for that process to complete, and the threads hit zero. At that point, I stop SER and I delete all submitted. Why? You already squeezed all the links out. The rest is garbage. And if you just leave that pile of dead wood sit there, SER will continue to allocate resources to check on these submittteds (which will yield nothing) into the future forever. This is what I refer to as cleaning out the pipes. It is inefficient to leave them there and suck resources...always checking dead wood when it could me making fresh links.

I clean out dead submitteds each day. SER runs faster, I increase LPM and VPM, and I simply make more links that way. 
  • As I see you are losing links when you press STOP. Because every time i see bunch of download filed when pressed STOP. SER interrupt threads and you are losing links. 

The safest way is to set threads to 0 then wait for a while and then restart or whatever you want to do...

About everything other Ron already explained...
  • If I delete the "submitted" links as you mentioned, it doesn't actually permanently delete them from the list right?

Also, I can't even find an option to "delete all submitted"

??

Thanks.
  • ronron SERLists.com
    @mattb348 - Right click, Show URLs, Submitted, click on any link, Control A, delete selected, yes, ok.
  • I have a related question about the verify option. In another thread @ron‌ and a few others recommended setting the auto verify time to 3days or thereabouts(not at computer now, but I think it was less than 5 days due to a kinda timeout that would discard the submitted link)

When projects finish, will the verify step kick in automatically or will the project wait for the predefined time.

Apologies @matb348 for hijacking your thread
  • ronron SERLists.com
    @icarusVN - That was a very old thread, and my suggestions are completely different now. Back then SER was evolving, and sometimes had issues with resources, memory, thread allocations, etc. Back then, there was a reason to do something like that. Now I have everything on Automatic 1440. SER flies like greased ligntning now compared to back then.

Generally speaking, SER will verify at random and frequent times throughout the day. So as you build links, it pretty much keeps up with the submissions. It really is a non-issue for the past 9 months, and it would not be good to follow that advice now. Just do Automatic 1440. 
  • Appreciated