Skip to content

Server Specs to Run at Home

Thanks to @Ron I'm looking to get a cheap box at home and just run SER and Scrapebox.  I don't do enough on a VPS to justify the costs.  I am not yet running 100+ projects and building links all day and night.

If you do run SER at home, what are your specs?  I've had CPU spikes on my VPS but never memory issues with 4GBs.

Only CPU spikes though come from when I Import & Identify.  That's the real CPU killer.

Comments

• ronron SERLists.com
    That's because you sort & identify. No one uses that feature for that very reason.

Always import the scrape directly to your projects. SER is going to sort it all out anyway as it processes the target.
  • If you do not use Sort & Identify, you can potentially miss out on a lot of useful targets later.

If my Tier 1 sites are Articles/Wikis and Web 2.0.. but my latest scrape pulls in some good Microblogs, they will be discarded by my current running projects.

Which means.. in order to really blow thru a good scrape I would need a "Dummy Project" that included absolutely everything without filters to truly build up an actual verified list.

Then real projects can sort thru the Verified lists and apply whatever filters they want.

Are you suggesting I setup a dummy project, directly import the scrapes and let SER just post away 1000 a day.. or maybe just post until there can be no more posting?  Whatever is verified is then gold that can be used by other projects?
  • ronron SERLists.com
    edited October 2014
    That is because you are missing a very important step...

You need fake projects going to a fake URL that does not exist, and you need all engines and platforms checked. This is where your scrapes need to be processed. If you are not doing that, then you are not doing this correctly.

Then you run all the real projects using the sitelist for the verified folder.
  • Understood...

I have such a project .. everything checked without filters.

Then my real projects will use the Verified List only (I may go back to SER scrapes as it's a fall back if I'm gone and haven't scraped)

If I can't get this working soon... I'm offering up a Fivver.com gig and I'll scrape and post to YOUR competitors URLs with pure anchor text.  :-)
  • Thanks again @ron

Just grabbed this:

ASUS CM1745 Desktop PC with Quad Core AMD A8-5500 3.20Ghz (Virgo), 6GB DDR3 Memory, 1TB HDD Storage, Radeon HD 7660D, HDMI Out, 8 Channel HD Audio, DVDRW, Windows 8

Should be plenty for my limited skillz.  I'll run this at home and take your suggestion about the VPS in a previous discussion.
  • 1linklist1linklist FREE TRIAL Linklists - VPM of 150+ - http://1linklist.com
    edited October 2014
    I mentioned this in the skype chat MDA, but your big barrier is not going to be hardware; its going to be getting a solid connection at home. I guess you could run a single, small "server" off a 50mb or so connection.

For minimum specs, I'd run on...

-I5 Processor, dual core, minimum
    -6Gbs of ram
    -50mb down / 25 Up

For ideal specs, I'd go with..

-I7 Quadcore 3.5ish ghz
    -8gbs ram
    -100mb down / 45 mb up

Edit: The machine you posted looks nice, but you do not need alot of those features for *just* a gsa box. You can ditch the Radeon graphics card, the DVDRW drive, and swap in windows 7 for windows 8.

Frankly if your looking for a pure server to run at home, you'd do well to hit up ebay. For about half the price of a new desktop you can buy a single server blade and a small rack to put it on.
    Well shall see... the box in question was a refurbished discounted machine with Windows 8.  Only job is to post to a couple of projects and post to a Dummy Project from stuff I get from Scrapebox.

• Up and running...

75 threads.  It's looking good so far.  No unusual errors.  Just the usual suspects but not 100% CPU constant... memory isn't even close to the 6GB.

I'm just running an import of a raw scrape.  It's blasting away... doing it's job.

So far so good.  Found out it's just base Windows 8.  If I want to do a RDC connection, it has to be at least Windows 8 Pro.  I'll be looking for an upgrade key.  I believe you can input a new key and it's good to go and will add in those additional features.  Not being able to remote into the box isn't cool.