Skip to content

"out of memory" bug

Its happening again, even though now I have 4Gb of ram

running on 100 threads, and only 14 projects

This is definitely a bug

Comments

• And its making me unable to use GSA SER as the pop up will not go away, and if it does the appilcation asks me to restart, (which doesn't help if i do it)
  • SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    it's NOT a bug...your projects have probably growing to big. Watch the MEM status bar and check what each project is taking when slowly turning one one after the other.
  • And what can I do about that? Apart from delete unused accounts.
  • The reason I thought it was a bug is because my last VPS provider told me it was
  • What engines are you using in your projects? If its blogs mainly then its possible that your list consists of targets with spammed to death blogs which take some big chunks of memory. Its easily one of the major memory factors.

Check this in Filter settings
    anything more than 1 is overkill in my opinion.

I once bugged Sven (sorry Sven ;) ) with memory-related questions, so It was really enlightening thread, have a look: https://forum.gsa-online.de/discussion/11205/what-are-major-memory-eating-factors

Also using spinfile macro have no memory impact no matter the file size (see here)

• The fitler settings was set to 1mb already

This happened before when i installed SER engines plugin,

Then I removed it and i didn't get the out of memory message for about two half weeks after that
  • The thing is I've only been using GSA SER since July it doesn't make sense for me to be having a RAM problem. And this has been happening since mid August!

What kind of VPs are using that you don't get the "out of memory" message anymore?
  • Another thing that makes no sense

I just changed VPS last week

On my last VPS I had 3gb of ram, there i was using on average 2.3 GB and I got the out of memory message

Then a few days later when I am on my new VPs with 4gb of ram available it says I'm using 3.2 gb of ram and I get the "out of memory" message?
  • edited October 2014
    I have 16 GB rams and still get it. I had set 1 MB for file size right now. If ill still get the out of memory message, there is a bug for sure (60 projects) (:

UPDATE: yep, just got the memory message!

ignoring the message is not a good idea. When this message appears, how many projects do you use and how many threads?

Usually this happens when people import massive data to projects using KontentMachine. The project grows really big and having many run with that can cause this issue very fast.

• Hi Sven, sent you a pm. Also, my ser project files are just about 190 kb+, .articles files are about 400kb, and the '.emails_done' are the huge ones, near 4mb each. 
    ok so do you remove emails at all?
  • Hi @Sven, nope, I don't swap/remove emails in SER, since currently using seospartans catch-all emails, so probably lots of emails saved by ser.
  • strange thing, really, did you try to run only half of your projects?
  • Can someone maybe create a PDF of some sort and say everything that can be done to reduce memory usage, stopping the pop up?
  • So far I have deleted some articles

And every day I delete dup domains URLs and unused accounts

anything else?
  • I am also deleting unused accounts and reduced the articles imported from kontent machine, still get the "out of memory!" message.

16 gb are not enough? running 10-20 threads at one!
  • any more info on this?

also I have 4gb of RAM but it starts telling me Im out of memory when it hits 2.8 GB of ram? 

Why is this?
  • no one cares :/
    Wrong, I care but Iall I get to debug are huge projects and people start like 100'S of them and wonder why there memory is eaten up. Especially if you import KontenMachine data, you import massive amount of data.
  • ronron SERLists.com
    @sven - If SER users place tokens in the article and other data fields like Descripions, wouldn't that greatly decrease the size of the project files - and consume far less memory?
  • RuFFCuTRuFFCuT UK
    edited October 2014
    From my understanding and I'm not sure on the exact numbers but SER can't use all of your ram since applications are limited by the amount of ram they can consume.

So even if you have 32GB of RAM it doesn't matter because SER can't utilize it all - I could be wrong but that's what I read.

From my experience what causes this message to pop up:
    • Having too many active projects with too much data in each - the cleanest way to setup a campaign is manually or use WAC since it imports less data than Kontent Machine. I use KM but I don't have too many projects running.
    • Using too many threads with too many projects active - I can run at 1k threads without an issue if I only have one or two projects running - if I have any more projects running I get the error.
    • Using catchall emails have been an issue for me and ram usage too.
    • Not clearing un-used data from projects such as account data.
    I don't think you need to clear out SER for paused or inactive projects because I have had many projects archived before without an issue and without them using RAM.

Also, whenever I need to run more than 5 projects at the same time I always use the scheduler and only allow 5 projects to run and they swap every 30mins. This I have found gives me much better results all round both in terms of the amount of links built to each project and resource usage. 

@michlap Where are you getting your used RAM figures from? Are you getting it from task manager or from the SER interface?

• royalmiceroyalmice WEBSITE: ---> https://asiavirtualsolutions.com | SKYPE:---> asiavirtualsolutions
    edited October 2014
    @michlap

It is really not that complicated.
    GSA Ser can only work with up to 3GB of RAM because it is a 32 BIT applications, when you push it to 3.01 it will cause a error out of memory, does not matter if you have 32 GB of RAM

So the solution is to avoid GSA Ser from going over 3 GB threshold, this can be easily and automatically done with the tools allready available in GSA SER to lower threads automatically and avoid OUT OF MEMORY pop ups.

In your Option settings set it as in the below screenshot, and you will see a great reduction in the number of out of memory pop-ups.

Pending on how powerful your CPU is you can play with the number of threads.

Start low, let it run for a few days, if all ok increase threads by 25%, let it run again for a few days and again increase, continue to do this until you reach your sweet spot.
    :

• @royalmice But what your saying does not make sense.

As some people are able to run 40 projects on over 1000 threads
  • @royalmice that's not strictly true. I can run at 3.4GB without out of memory errors. 

Spend lots of time optimising SER to run as cleanly and as efficiently as possible. I've spent hundreds of hours getting it just right and letting SER search I can hit 200LPM easily, which is repeated on 5 more dedicated servers - I only run 100-150 threads on each server too.

Macros do make a difference, contrary to what is said above. There's still probably lots I could do but rankings are strong so I'm in no hurry to start testing and messing around with what I currently have. The setup of projects is so important to the efficiency of SER and the speed of how it creates links. Too many people buy SER with all default settings and press GO without even thinking about it. 
  • @JudderMan I think in order for SER to be able to use more than 2GB ram you need to be running it on 64bit windows which a lot of servers don't - that's what I've read anyway :P

@michlap Who do you know that runs 40 projects simultaneously on 1k threads without using the scheduler - that would give you terrible results anyway and you would be better of scheduling them to run 5 - 10 at a time.

I run at 800 threads and max of 5 projects running at the same time and never have RAM issues.

Please can you provide more information about your setup and projects:

1. Who is your VPS provider and what plan are you on?
    2. How are you generating / importing the content for your projects?
    3. How long have these projects been running?
    4. How many email accounts do you use per project?
    5. How many keywords and anchor texts are you using in your projects on average?
    6. Are you importing lists into the projects? If so how many URL's do they contain?
  • @RuFFCuT hmmm not so sure dude my dedis are Win 08 Web but my laptop is 64bit and there is a smoothness to SER running it on my laptop. 3.4GB is usually on the verge of crashing during 100+ projects running Active V. I did actually get one dedi blocked for a few days when I left Active V on overnight once. Managed to sweet talk them round as I have 5 other dedis from the same company.

• royalmiceroyalmice WEBSITE: ---> https://asiavirtualsolutions.com | SKYPE:---> asiavirtualsolutions
    @michlap --- not sure what does not make sense -- those settings are there to prevent GSA ser from going over the RAM it can use, it will automatically lower or throttle the ram threads.

@JUdderman - Are you saying you the MEM usage in  the GSA status show 3.4GB or are you saying that if you open the task manager and look at performance it show 3.4GB ram usage ---- There is a very big difference. I have 32GB ram on my 64bit server and task manager normally show about 17GB usage of RAM whilst GSA SER mem usage  will never go over the 3.x mark. It is simple GSA SER is a 32 bit application it will not use more than 3GB

@ruffcut -- you are wrong, most VPS's and dedicated servers are 64 bit. But that wont help u one bit because GSA SER is a 32 bit application and cant benefit from 64bit architecture.

• RuFFCuTRuFFCuT UK
    edited November 2014
    @royalmice If your server is 64 bit then you should be able to get 4GB usage then from a 32bit application not 3GB, since I assume GSA have set SER to 'IMAGE_FILE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE set' otherwise it's just 2GB. So your 3GB limit doesn't really make sense when combined with 'most servers are 64 bit'.

@RuFFCut

I run 12 VPS's all 64bit all have 12 GB RAM allocated some 32 GB --- never in 2 years have GSA ever been able  to run at 4GB RAM, it is always 3GB or maybe a little but over .

Yes you are correct GSA ser should be able to run at 4GB RAM ( i earlier said 3GB it is actually 4 Gb )  on a 64 bit but it does not, in anyway not on mine. I normally start seeing the out of mem when it goes just over 3GB.

If there is anybody that can run at 4GB please send screenshot and tell me what u did to achieve it.I would love to run at close to 4GB on GSA Ser but it has never happened, and yea i done all the clean dups, clean dead accounts etc...

IN this screenshot you can see it crashing at 3.2GB RAM usage by GSA SER

Maybe @sven can give insight