Skip to content

GSA SER newbie needs help - Trying to find the bottleneck...

Hi everyone,

Very happy to finally be on board! Been doing SEO for the last 7 years and love it. Never got around to play with GSA, until now and I love it!

The Setup:

- Server: Quad Core Xeon (3.4ghz) 32GB RAM OVH dedicated (SoYouStart - 32G E3-1245v2 SoftRaid 2x2 To)
- OS: Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 Standard Edition (64bits)
- GSA Captcha Breaker
- Spamvilla
- 30 semi-dedicated proxies from buyproxies.org
- Indexification

Stats: 

- Threads: Low, between 30 and 60, never above 100. Set at 200 in GSA options
- Memory used: 250mb ish
- CPU: Very low, from 5% to 20% tops.
- LPM: 13-14
- NoFollow: 61%, DoFollow: 39%
- CB is currently at 45% recognized captchas

The dedi isn't split into VPSs and it is not doing anything else than this. Running only 1 campaign at this time. What would be the first steps to start troubleshooting this? I want to increase the LPM. I'd also want to know if the NoFollow/DoFollow ratio is normal which, I know depends largely on the targets I scrape..

Please let me know if further info is required. Thanks!

Comments

• With that kind of server you can crack your threads easily to 500+, also to make ser more efficienlty is better to scrape target with scrapebox or gscraper and import the list to SER.
  • Hi Tranza,

Thanks for the response. Wow 500 threads is nuts! OK, but what is the point if threads used never go above 100? Trying to find out what is slowing it down ... I'm thinking proxies, but it's hard to tell.

As for targets, I already am using a list that was shared only in a GSA course and not saturated. 

I do want to test this against a Gscraper list that I would create eventually.

There's also SER lists that I heard of, not sure how quickly that becomes saturated though.

• Howdy @John_g

Your numbers seem fairly normal for someone running 1 project at time.  You'll notice a big jump up when you run multiple projects.

I'd also guess you need a better list.  You can shop for lists on the BST thread, but be aware they have a limited life and no matter how reputable the list sell is, they get spammed out very quickly.

I'd suggest you build your own, but this will take time and resources although your server should be easily able to handle Gscraper or Scrapebox at the same time as SER.
  • Hey davbel,

I agree with you. I will add a 2nd project today.

As for scraping, I already have SB. I've seen Gscraper in action. Is the latter that much better for scraping targets for GSA? What is you guys' experience with them?

Cheers,

• davbeldavbel UK
    edited September 2014
    I use Scrapebox and although I've dabbled with Gscraper recently, I prefer SB. 

Gscraper is no doubt faster at bulk scrapping, but I can get a couple of million URLs pretty much every day from SB using my footprints, which for me is more than enough, plus it has a load more functionality that GS doesn't.

• Jesus. I knew targets were important but wow, I used 1linklist.com and now I'm sitting at 180lpm, 500 threads.

*happy dance*