Skip to content

What's the best use for this software?

I must admit I am struggling a little to understand the benefits of creating these redirect links.
My understanding is:
Create the url shorteners (redirects) to point to your site
Get these urls indexed

Is there anything else to do? Just wondering what the SEO impact of these redirects would be, and wouldn't it look unatural for a site to have so many redirects?

Are people using this primarily on lower tiers?
In GSA SER I only use the url shorteners on lower tiers to assist with indexing.
Would love for someone to explain the benefits of using this method.

Comments

• I would love the to see the responses, someone tag my name when u respond!
  • There is a guy who also is selling a 301 software, and on his thread he gives for free a very good pdf guide that explain all the 301 process..
    Check his thread, the link for the guide is on one of his post on the first page
    https://forum.gsa-online.de/discussion/12580/301-redirector-the-best-mass-url-shortner-301-s-from-edu-domains/p1
    @flowerbaron @TheGreene
  • davbeldavbel UK
    edited September 2014
    @flowerbaron @thegreene the idea is that you set up a layer or multiple layers of 301 redirects pointing to your money site.  Once you've done this, you then build lots and lots of links to the redirects you just set up.

What is supposed to happen is that all the link juice that you build to the redirects passes to your site, without the chance of a penalty.

Lots of ppl say this works, hence @Sven's Redirect Pro as well as the other providers, but from my testing I have never ever been able to get a site to rank just using this method.

I'm not saying it doesn't work, I'm just saying I haven't been able to make it work...
  • @peterperseo Thanks for the link - I have read the document for that product and it seems to be a 'churn and burn' method which will eventually get penalised.
    @davbel thanks for the explanation - I understand the concept but would be nervous about using this method on any site I valued. Seems risky to me, but for lower tiers and churn and burn I can see that it could be beneficial.

Anyone using this method successfully on money sites (long term)?

• I think @Judderman ran a b/l profile that had these type of links through one of the good link / bad link checkers and it highlighted as low quality problem links, but he'd need to tell you more about that.
  • Yep, Link Research Tools pulled all of the 301s as toxic/bad as fkuc. Whether that makes any difference or not, I don't know, but I've stopped using them direct on my C&B sites. I do however, use them in other ways, to pump up the TF/CF/DA/PA on lower tiers. 

C&B is different, but in all other terms of link-building I honestly believe that if you put some hard work in that it will repay you. Obviously, that requires testing and being sure that your hard work is worth while, but if it's too easy to do, then it's too easy to not work/get slapped.

I do think that these 301 tools have a place in SEO but not the way that everyone is using them. Pointing them at money sites and spamming them doesn't work any more, at least not with an insane amount of links. You need buffer sites, para-sites and other links to make a protective layer and even then there is a chance that they will die off quicker than you're able to rank your money site.

All of this is in my opinion/experience, of course ;) but if there is supporting evidence to suggest otherwise I'm all ears.
  • I'm very curious about this, too. I'd love to hear other pros chime in on the value of these and how to safely use them. I doubt Sven would have created the product unless he was sure it would be highly beneficial to our efforts. 

But, I'm not seeing it, yet, and would love to learn more.
    Thanked by 1liwern
  • I guess it could be nice that Sven talk about this.
    I know about 301 but i really dont use it for my main money sites because i always feel its risky. A single change in the Google algorithm and you can get penalized.
    Maybe build a tier 1 and use the 301 to that tier?
  • @yenerich
    I'm thinking the same, to buy the tool and use it only after a T1 layer of webs 2.0.
    Using this way, I think it's pretty much safer and there won't be problems for the money site. I think that for low competition keywords it should works...
  • I did this: money site -> 301 redirect from my own url (yourls) -> 301 redirection layer using software. I blasted some links to the 301 layer and after a few days I received a unnatural link warning in WMT and my rankings dropped drastically. I removed the redirect from my own 301 service and sent a reconsideration request and 3 days later my rankings returned like magic :-)
    I think it was because I was too fast in generating links.
    One advice: always use a buffer before the layer you are trying to create...

• But you could also use this method to let your competitors rankings drop - but this would be very evil...
  • I had some success creating a layer of 10 Tier 1 redirects to a money site, then a layer of 1000s of Tier 2 redirects, then blasting the Tier 2s with SER / Scrapebox. It was too resource intensive for it accomplished - I had to build links to thousands of tier 2s - so I stopped. For safety, you can build to an inner page and delete it if something goes wrong.

A couple of other places to look for ideas:

- The 301 Nuke thread
    - Scrape some blog comments and reverse engineer what other people are doing. I get tons of comments with these url shorteners on my Wordpress sites :)
  • @iNTREPiD‌ Webmasters Tool
  • @magix Where did you see that "unnatural link warning" in WMT?
  • sing99sing99 Los Angeles
    JudderMan
    What do these stand for?:
    c&b
    TF
    CF
    DA
    PA

• ronron SERLists.com
    edited October 2014

@sing99 :

C&B = Churn & Burn

Majestic Metrics:

TF = Trust Flow

CF = Citation Flow

Moz Metrics:

PA = Page Authority

DA = Domain Authority

You can take it from there...

• ronron SERLists.com
    edited October 2014
    I think all of this url shortener stuff is a bunch of crap, but that's just my opinion. I would use a real domain and 301 it if that is what you really wanted.

Don't get me wrong, I always try to keep up with the latest alchemy like converting plaster into precious metals. I've been guilty of far crazier ideas rofl. But I never got this to do anything other than shoot me in my ass. With that, I succeeded quite well I might add.

If somebody were to show me in private a real example, and I analyzed the backlinks, I might be able to draw that conclusion. But I haven't seen one success with my own eyes, so it is hard to buy into all of this. Plus, if there were other links outside of this method, it would be really hard to prove anyway.

All it takes is one crazy forum post, then someone else chiming in that they did it (when they didn't, but they wanted fame or recognition, so they said they did it), and then a pandemic breaks out. I've seen it happen many times before. Not saying this is the case, but if smells like a duck...