Skip to content

GSA won't close out threads.

Hello,

It seems that GSA is having a lot of trouble closing out threads.

For example, I turn off verification. I let GSA finish a list, then try to Stop the project.

GSA will freeze with 1-2 threads running and never stop the project.

Then I have to force quit. But when I do so, lose A LOT of submissions etc bc it will not save them to disk.

Sven can you please take a look at this?

Thanks

Comments

• I notice every time, it gets stuck on 1 thread, 50% CPU.

Or, 2 threads, 50-99% CPU.

But it never closes the last threads...
  • edited August 2014
    Update: If I go into the project and then save it. I can switch the campaign to "Inactive" , but there is still one "phantom thread" running in the background preventing it from saving the last "set" of submissions to disk. So I'm losing a lot of captcha uses + potential verified links.
  • SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    when such things happen and you waited a longer time without the threads going to 0, you can always hit the help->send bugreport. Make some reference to this forum topic here and I have a look.
    But don't use this if you got some out of memory warnings before or if you waited just 1 minute.
  • Same problem here ..it happens to me every single day on most of my servers.

@Sven

Just sent you a bug report. I waited 11 minutes and I still have 2 threads opened. No out of memory warnings at all. I can send you more bug reports from several servers if you want. it happens to me all the time.
  • KaineKaine thebestindexer.com
    I have "solution" for that, surely not the best but that work.

Make all thread in inactive mode.

Push start/stop/start/stop/ .... and thread close quickly.
  • @Kaine

I'm not sure what do you mean by saying :

>> Make all thread in inactive mode

?

I assume you meant to say make all *projects* to inactive mode ??

If that what you mean .. it's not working. If all projects are set to inactive mode you can't press the start button.. you will get this error

I also tried to press start / stop as you said while projects are set to active mode...still no joy.
  • bestimtoolzbestimtoolz High PR WEB 2.0 posting service - affordable !
    Same here too, but in the difference it stops the threads but after long time, too long.
  • edited August 2014
    @bestimtoolz

Yes , sometimes if you leave it for half an hour or something it stops all threads. But not all the times. At least in my experience.
  • bestimtoolzbestimtoolz High PR WEB 2.0 posting service - affordable !
    Indeed, mostly I just kill the task or close ser at all cos not have the time to wait, before I thought it was maybe because I have too many  projects and articles/per each (a lot of data) so I thought it is maybe write/read delays what is normal in HDD`s , and switched to SSD VPS but it didn` t helped much, the problem still exists. 

If is hit the stop I expect it stops immediately, I don`t care about this I lost couple of submissions which are just stucked - xxx.xxx are in the queue right (((: ?
  • edited August 2014
    Yeah , I don't care about the stucked submissions though. The problem is I have 150+ projects on some of my servers and I go through them to make this one active ..that one inactive ..and some verify email only ..etc.

When I kill the task all these modifications are lost ! and I have to go through all of them again !!! A real pain in the neck specially when this annoying problem is happening every single day when restarting SER ( I restart SER daily ..a must for me )

I'm sure it's hard to debug that's why Sven didn't fix it till now. (it's a very old bug) I guess this feature request can make everyone happy.
    [Feature Request] An option to KILL all "opened" threads stuck in memory!

@seoaddict @Kaine @bestimtoolz @Sven

What do you guys think ?
  • KaineKaine thebestindexer.com
    edited August 2014

"I assume you meant to say make all *projects* to inactive mode ??"

Yes that right, if you are popup that want says all is finish, tune out if one or two thread are displayed.

If you want to make sure that it is saved before exiting wait a few minutes after the popup, the project save every X minutes (see with Sven for exact value).
  • @Kaine

Sorry , but I'm not sure what you mean ...can you rephrase it ?