Skip to content

Are email registrations a target for spam

This is a question that relates to the type of service that GSA SER is, but not related to it per se. But I thought I might be able to get some useful information here. I have a blog with an email registration form on it. I publish occasional educational tutorials on it and then announce them on Linked In and Facebook groups related to the subject of art. After my first couple of articles, I started to get people signing up. Now, after about 1.5 yrs, I am getting a lot of registrations. But recently, it seemed like there were too many registrations, and many of the emails were from hotmail with a variety of letters for the username, even though the signup name was readable. So now I'm wondering if I am being targeted by spam for email registrations. I just don't know what good it would do someone to register on my blog. I do have the occassional good comment, and I have recognized some spam, which I deleted. But is there some reason that registering an email on someone's blog would be of benefit to spammers?
Any help you could give me on this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Comments

• Any help on this from any of you out there?
    Thanks
  • s4nt0ss4nt0s Houston, Texas
    Hmm, that is odd. I've had weird stuff happen on some of my sites as well where I'll get a bunch of opt-ins but they are just dead email addresses. 

Almost like someone built a bot just to submit fake emails via the opt-in form. 

No idea why people do stuff like that, but you can add a captcha to your registration page and maybe it will help prevent it. 
  • @s4nt0s, That's the strange part. There already is a captcha for any email sign up, although they're not the very difficult ones that even humans have a hard time reading. I tried sending email to one of the addresses, but I didn't get an answer back. Maybe I should try emailing more of the addresses to see what happens.
  • s4nt0ss4nt0s Houston, Texas
    Ya that's up to you. You can always add a harder captcha or one of those conditional logic captchas if it continues to happen.