Skip to content

Running 2 instances of GSA on 1 VPS with 1 OS and 2 Useraccounts and 2 different GSA licenses

As the title says this doesn't work, but it worked in earlier versions of GSA.

I have this setup to save some resources. I would waste some if I had running 2 OS.

Let me know if you fix this in future updates. Or do I have to setup 2 operating systems.

Thanks guys :)

(same goes for CB and SEO Indexer...)

Comments

• s4nt0ss4nt0s Houston, Texas
    Yes I'm sure Sven has made it like that for a reason. There has been VPS providers popping up that illegally share licenses between people using their VPS so I think Sven might have changed some things.
  • edited July 2014
    Which affects normal users as well.
    If someone still wanted to exploit they would make 1 vbox, install ser and clone the machine.
    Which irronically is the same thing someone with 2 ser licenses has to do anyway in order to make them both work...
    You'll have to wait for Sven to get some feedback on this. 
  • @s4nt0s sure I understand this. Hope Sven will comment on this :)
  • @sven I dont want to install 3 OS's (Linux + 2x Windows)... :(
    If you can think of another solution let me know :)
  • royalmiceroyalmice WEBSITE: ---> https://asiavirtualsolutions.com | SKYPE:---> asiavirtualsolutions
    I am in the same boat with this.

Have 3 VPS, each with 2 users accounts - each 2 legit GSA ser licenses -- and it worked find until a few weeks back, now i can only start 1 gsa per vps even it has 2 legit licenses.

This is a real pain in the, you know what --- hope @Sven can find an alternative way to stop non legit users which does not hurt legit users.

• sven definitely has changed it. It is no longer one instance per license but one instance per server as of now
  • looplineloopline autoapprovemarketplace.com
    edited July 2014
    I talked with Sven about this not all too long ago.  Its due to how the licensing structure works.

For example, scrapebox is a stand alone application and due to that and how they license you can run unlimited instances of it on the same machine.

GSA SER is different.  In order to build the license structure that they have chosen and keep people from abusing their licenses by violating the TOS (not saying that the OP was trying to, I wanted to do the same thing and did for a while) he had to do it that way.

Each method that the respective programs have chosen has its pros and cons.  For example, unless I am mistaken, with SER you can install it on mutliple machines, such as a desktop and laptop and then change back and forth at will, so long as you are not running it on both at the same time.  However with scrapebox they have to manually change your license from 1 machine to another, hence why they only allow 1 such change for free per month.  

I won't go into details about how either of the two programs licensing structure works, as its there to protect both us and the developers. 

At the end of the day, in order to protect SER from being abused by hackers, and maintain the licensing setup that Sven has created, limiting it to 1 instance per OS is necessary. 

Its a case of some people ruin it for everyone. 

That said, its inconvenient, but if thats what it takes to make sure people keep purchasing SER and not stealing it, then that means thats what it takes for Sven to keep getting paid.  So long as Sven gets paid he has more of an incentive to keep maintaining and improving SER.  Firstly of course I use SER as we all do and want to see it keep being developed, second Sven should be rewarded for his hard work. 

So I am for it, because I believe that Sven deserves to get paid and if this is what it takes to protect that then so be it. 
    @loopline - Well said! 
  • @loopline - I agree 100% with what you have said! Since I am not an expert in the field of licensing systems I dont know what is possible and what is not.

I didnt want to start this discussion on how to clear the path for hackers to exploit and run GSA with only 1 license key on 1 OS. I am sure you didn't got me on that :)

I am sharing my VPS with a great colleague of mine and for not wasting resources I decided to setup GSA with 2 licenses on 1 OS.

Thanks for sharing your experience with @sven. I will definitely have to install 3 OS (linux to share resources 50/50 + 2x Windows Server). All thought I am 100% inexperienced on that and need to find someone to do this for me . :( It seems that there is no other way.

• looplineloopline autoapprovemarketplace.com
    edited July 2014
    @tbonemaker
      No I didn't assume you were trying to clear the way for hackers.  I was just elaborating. 

I too wish to run SER like scrapebox, with more then 1 instance on the same OS, but its a matter of the path Sven chose.  There isn't a right or wrong way for a developer to go.  Ive had the discussion with Scrapebox support as well.  They would love to "open it up" more then it is, but its a matter of protecting their hard work from the hackers. 

SER now attaches to the OS install its self (more or less).  To my understanding IP and physical hard ware is irrelevant, so you could take a big "box" and run VMware on it and then install 2+ copies of windows on it, and then you can install a copy of SER on each. 

Although I think with VMware that you have to assign fixed resources, its not dynamic, although I could be wrong, Im not a vmware expert, only used it briefly.  The goal for me to run more then 1 on the same box is efficient use of resources, but it is what it is. 

Personally I just use multiple small vps for my GSA stuff.
  • edited July 2014
    Can sven sell multi instance licences then?
    Until then guess will learn vmware lol.

As a side note to sven. The only reason for us at least for using more sers, cbs is because GSA SER and CB don't scale at all with CPU performance.

3 SERs  @ 1000 theards no problem, 100+LPM/instance minimum after 24 hours.
    1 SER @ 1500 theards = crash

Same with CB, the server option is pointless. From our tests, 2 SERs @ 500 theards crash it, but 1 SER @ 1000theards works ok.

Still nothing comes close to this software :)
  • royalmiceroyalmice WEBSITE: ---> https://asiavirtualsolutions.com | SKYPE:---> asiavirtualsolutions
    @cefege well said

Thats exactly the reason i created a 2nd user account on my VPS with new license. 1 Instance alone couple not handle all my projects, so what i did was load  up to 700 projects ( 100 x 7 tier ) on one instance and and set up GSA CB as web server, then i created another user account on the same machine and install GSA Ser with new license, and load all the other overflow projects on it and connect to GSA CB on 1st user account.

This worked fine  untill Sven changed the license thing. No i just have to pay $15 more for a extra windows licence and make use of wmware to create more windows VPS - so i dont have any problem anymore but sorry for those who dont have the luxury of a dedicated server to run wmware or hyperv on.

• Well my current setup: Running GSA and VN on windows server + in VM I run windows + GSA.

Now I have this issue:

@sven help or any kind of solution would be highly appreciated. :)
  • SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    send an email. Im not discussing license issues on a public forum.