Skip to content

Checking emails via proxy

I have on settings =>
Checked Use Proxies
Checked E-mail Checking
Checked Private next to that

I have on project settings - E-Mail verification =>
Checked Use Proxies (only trans and socks proxies)

My ISP blocks access to my POP3 mailboxes and see's a remote IP that is my VPS, not my port 80 BuyProxies IP.

Should I not be checking the box for only trans & socks?, can someone clarify that bit please - looks like it means that no proxy is used for checking emails.

Comments

• SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    a proxy should be used then. What types of proxies do you have? Connecting to pop3 servers is not working with WEB only proxies.
  • I learn something new every day - thought the HTTP proxies from buyproxies were being used for email checking.

Joys of protocols and multitasking developers.
  • @bradmca,

I'm also using HTTP proxies from buyproxies.org. When I add them to SER, they are listed as Type=Trans. I've also enabled Email Checking and Trans and Socks proxies. All my emails tested OK. So @Sven, is SER using my private proxies for Email Checking?...
  • @Olve1954 All seemed OK to me too for a week, then they just got totally blocked twice over the last day or two, I contacted support who sent me the logs confirming that the VPS IP was the remote client host.

How long do you leave between two logins & do you have per account checked ?
  • Here's my settings,

and my host is hosteasier.com...

• I have time to wait @ 900 and delete after 3 days (before all these email hiccups I had it at 1 day) and Per account unchecked.

My host is 5quidhost... probably not for much longer though

I checked with them what their rules are for blocking  pop3 access and their response "As for the rules, this will be when there have been 20 failed login attempts in the last 300 seconds from the same IP address."

Why would this block the VPS when its only SER polling mailboxes from there and they all have the same password.
  • Still it doesn't explain why your "logs confirming that the VPS IP was the remote client host". If SER's Email Checking with proxies is working, your web host should only see BuyProxies's proxies.

Can you confirm your have "Use proxies (only Trans and Sock)" enabled on all your projects? @Sven said you must enable both for it to work.

I also notice testing email accounts is slower while using proxies. So I "assumed" it was working...

• It doesn't explain it no, and the times in the logs are consistent with when I had everything checked I could for email proxies including the one on project dialogue for socks.

I went to ask buyproxies for different types of proxy then noticed this on their homepage

Q: Can I send SMTP mails with your proxies? 
    A: Nope (we suck, I know). We don offer socks because Socks Sucks!
  • For the hell of it, I made a buyproxies ticket anyway, here is how it went

Brad McAllister
    Client
    2014/07/25 14:30
    Can I check pop3 mailboxes through your proxies?

Thx

----------------------------
    IP Address: 
    imageAngel
    Staff 
    2014/07/25 14:31
    Yes you can check :) 
  • SER only receives/check pop3 emails. It doesn't send them. I guess the reason buyproxies doesn't allow emails to be sent thru their proxies, it to prevent email spammers from hiding behing their proxies. It doesn't apply to SER users as we only check emails...
  • I think the problem regarding sending is the port involved rather than a deliberate restriction.

This is the log pattern, which is undesirable I think as I selected to wait 15 mins between login attempts, so it has three tries by the look of it per mailbox per attempt, if they all appear to come from the same IP and I have many mailboxes there obviously a big red flag to the mailhost.

Jul 24 13:37:10 host dovecot: pop3-login: Disconnected (auth failed, 1 attempts in 2 secs): user=<seratti@mydomain.com>, method=PLAIN, rip=1.1.1.1, lip=1.1.1.1, TLS, session=<d4cJt+/+9QAFCa1I>
    Jul 24 13:37:16 host dovecot: pop3-login: Disconnected (auth failed, 1 attempts in 6 secs): user=<seratti@mydomain.com>, method=PLAIN, rip=1.1.1.1, lip=1.1.1.1, TLS, session=<On8vt+/+RgAFCa1I>
    Jul 24 13:37:18 host dovecot: pop3-login: Disconnected (auth failed, 1 attempts in 2 secs): user=<seratti@mydomain.com>, method=PLAIN, rip=1.1.1.1, lip=1.1.1.1, TLS, session=<C/yJt+/+GAAFCa1I>
    Jul 24 13:38:33 host dovecot: pop3-login: Disconnected (auth failed, 1 attempts in 2 secs): user=<jungwirth@mydomain.com>, method=PLAIN, rip=1.1.1.1, lip=1.1.1.1, TLS, session=<jvz3u+/+kAAFCa1I>
    Jul 24 13:38:39 host dovecot: pop3-login: Disconnected (auth failed, 1 attempts in 6 secs): user=<jungwirth@mydomain.com>, method=PLAIN, rip=1.1.1.1, lip=1.1.1.1, TLS, session=<yGQevO/+6gAFCa1I>
    Jul 24 13:38:47 host dovecot: pop3-login: Disconnected (auth failed, 1 attempts in 6 secs): user=<jungwirth@mydomain.com>, method=PLAIN, rip=1.1.1.1, lip=1.1.1.1, TLS, session=<rUadvO/+QgAFCa1I>
    Jul 24 13:40:20 host dovecot: pop3-login: Disconnected (auth failed, 1 attempts in 2 secs): user=<olaya@mydomain.com>, method=PLAIN, rip=1.1.1.1, lip=1.1.1.1, TLS, session=<cmhZwu/+rgAFCa1I>
    Jul 24 13:40:28 host dovecot: pop3-login: Disconnected (auth failed, 1 attempts in 4 secs): user=<olaya@mydomain.com>, method=PLAIN, rip=1.1.1.1, lip=1.1.1.1, TLS, session=<Lk/Bwu/+nwAFCa1I>
    Jul 24 13:40:34 host dovecot: pop3-login: Disconnected (auth failed, 1 attempts in 3 secs): user=<olaya@mydomain.com>, method=PLAIN, rip=1.1.1.1, lip=1.1.1.1, TLS, session=<XQgrw+/+HQAFCa1I>
    Jul 24 13:40:56 host dovecot: pop3-login: Disconnected (auth failed, 1 attempts in 2 secs): user=<sapinski@mydomain.com>, method=PLAIN, rip=1.1.1.1, lip=1.1.1.1, TLS, session=<HJ+DxO/+GwAFCa1I>
    Jul 24 13:41:03 host dovecot: pop3-login: Disconnected (auth failed, 1 attempts in 6 secs): user=<sapinski@mydomain.com>, method=PLAIN, rip=1.1.1.1, lip=1.1.1.1, TLS, session=</I2yxO/+yAAFCa1I>
    Jul 24 13:41:10 host dovecot: pop3-login: Disconnected (auth failed, 1 attempts in 7 secs): user=<sapinski@mydomain.com>, method=PLAIN, rip=1.1.1.1, lip=1.1.1.1, TLS, session=<vAYRxe/+bAAFCa1I>

• SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    just checked source...it only ignores the waiting time if the previous login failed...then it tires to login with a different proxy.