Skip to content

Looks like email link verification is intermittent or completely broken

Facing following issue and I'd be grateful if I could have some help.
It's more that 10 days where I noticed that access to each project's respective gmail accounts is intermittent or completely broken.
Presently running aprox 10 proj.
Deactivated all but a singe proj each time and activated log to a file so I can trace issue.
After numerous tries, I came to a conclusion that after freshly starting SER, the fist email access works without problem in parsing the accumulated emails.
Following accesses fail -as per log entries attached- (also the same when testing account through the menus 'All fail').
If application is restarted, access to the email account is restored again but for the fist time.
Moreover I am under the impression that although project flow continues uninterrupted, non accessing the email account results in erroneously removing 'verifications waiting' (U can observe the decreasing 'verifications waiting' ALTHOUGH no email login has succeed in the meantime.
I have tried practically everything to circumvent this problem to no avail.
All projs have similar erroneous behavior, except one which does not access its respective email account at all.
Also it seems that the 'Time to wait between logins' and 'for each account' parameters are not respected (although set at 2400 secs).
I prefer not to expand all possible configurations I've tried at this moment, but I'd be glad, if needed, to do later on.
Thank you.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
from today's log entries
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

[14:02:02] UHB - T1 pri dF PR2+-2: Starting project
[14:07:04] UHB - T1 pri dF PR2+-2: [ ] Checking E-Mail mariee****ma@gmail.com for links (174 verifications waiting)...
[14:07:08] UHB - T1 pri dF PR2+-2: [ ] Parsing 26 E-Mails...
[14:15:55] UHB - T1 pri dF PR2+-2: [-] Checking E-Mail mariee****ma@gmail.com skipped (last pop3 login was not more than 2400seconds ago).
[14:15:55] UHB - T1 pri dF PR2+-2: [ ] E-Mail Verification finished.
[14:15:55] UHB - T1 pri dF PR2+-2: [ ] Verifying finished (58 checks done)
[14:21:14] UHB - T1 pri dF PR2+-2: [-] Checking E-Mail mariee****ma@gmail.com skipped (last pop3 login was not more than 2400seconds ago).
[14:21:14] UHB - T1 pri dF PR2+-2: [ ] E-Mail Verification finished.
[14:21:14] UHB - T1 pri dF PR2+-2: [ ] Verifying finished (54 checks done)
[14:26:32] UHB - T1 pri dF PR2+-2: [ ] Checking E-Mail mariee****ma@gmail.com for links (212 verifications waiting)...
[14:27:02] UHB - T1 pri dF PR2+-2: [-] Error logging in to your pop3 server: Connection timed out
[14:33:01] UHB - T1 pri dF PR2+-2: [ ] Checking E-Mail mariee****ma@gmail.com for links (16 verifications waiting)...
[14:33:31] UHB - T1 pri dF PR2+-2: [-] Error logging in to your pop3 server: Connection timed out
[14:33:31] UHB - T1 pri dF PR2+-2: [ ] E-Mail Verification finished.
[14:33:31] UHB - T1 pri dF PR2+-2: [ ] Verifying finished (8 checks done)
[14:39:35] UHB - T1 pri dF PR2+-2: [-] Checking E-Mail mariee****ma@gmail.com skipped (last pop3 login was not more than 2400seconds ago).
[14:39:35] UHB - T1 pri dF PR2+-2: [ ] E-Mail Verification finished.
[14:39:35] UHB - T1 pri dF PR2+-2: [ ] Verifying finished (30 checks done)
[14:45:57] UHB - T1 pri dF PR2+-2: [ ] Checking E-Mail mariee****ma@gmail.com for links (97 verifications waiting)...
[14:46:27] UHB - T1 pri dF PR2+-2: [-] Error logging in to your pop3 server: Connection timed out
[14:54:15] UHB - T1 pri dF PR2+-2: [ ] Checking E-Mail mariee****ma@gmail.com for links (112 verifications waiting)...
[14:54:45] UHB - T1 pri dF PR2+-2: [-] Error logging in to your pop3 server: Connection timed out

Comments

• Don't use Gmail
  • Same  problem here.  even don't use gmail.
  • Same - I use yahoo and outlook.
  • @sven could you help this out?
  • SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    sorry I dont see anything wrong from the software really. Maybe your accounts have been blocked? All fine on my end and I havent changed anything on this part.
  • Hi,
    @Sven, if accounts were blocked, exiting and restarting SER wouldn't correct issue. The same holds true with test email button in edit proj.
    When 'unable to log in to pop account' error happens, testing ANY email account 'Fails All'. Exiting and restarting (within 20 secs) testing emails works again.
    I wish I could explain it more clearly.
    Thank you
    Well still I can't see that there is any bug really. Do you use some anti virus solution or firewall?
  • edited June 2014
    @Sven
    I'm really grateful that you asked because I feel desperate that I will not find a solution or a workaround on this.
    If I send you the list of what I have already tried the last ten days you will feel sorry for me.
    Yes, no antivirus at all, winXP pro on VMware set for 2cpus 1GB Ram, 512MB virtual, partition 12GB. Clean installation dedicated for SER, updated to whatever latest.
    Backuped all SER projects and deleted everything from the start. Now running only one project, tested practically everything.
    Collected over 120MB of log files to help me pin point something out of the 'normal' but to no avail.
    Behavior of SER project is always the same.
    First access to the gmail account is successful, parses mails for verification.
    Second and thereafter accesses, fail.
    If I restart SER, fist is ok, second and later give error (Error logging in to your pop3 server: Connection timed out ).
    I was ready to prepare a video to send you to show you what I mean.
    Presently, for the last five days I've stopped SER running and trying to pinpoint this issue.
    I've run out of ideas, I just hope you still have some...
    Thank you

ok send me project and setting backup for a close review. I can't see any bug from my side for now.
  • @sven
    Good and bad news.
    Good news, after all that trouble, I should have installed SER on a different PC to check.
    That is what I did just now and SER works without the issue! (same OS...)
    This also corrected a different problem where SER did not succeed to send all verified to instantIndexer and now works flawlessly.
    Sorry for bothering you.
    The bad news are that I am now in deep waters trying to invent the wheel...
    Thank you once again, I'll keep you informed just in case someone shares the same crazy situation.
  • Wrapping up.
    I jumped the gun when I thought that installing on a new PC was the solution to this issue.
    As soon as I transferred all setting and projects, the problem resurfaced.
    After days of examining log files, narrowed the problem which was related to the proxies scrapping with the following settings.

After days of experimenting, changed the settings as follows

and now it's been four full days of completely problem free operation - at least regarding this issue.
    Consider it resolved.
    Cheers