Skip to content

To what point does cpu matter?

I'm wondering to what point cpu matters. Because i'm going to buy a dedicated server and i'm not sure which one I should take.
They all have more then 32gb of ram, and a SSD, and 1gb/s connection.

These are the ones i'm interested in :

Intel e3-1230 has about a cpu score of 8000 on cpubenchmark.net
Intel E5-1650 v2 has a score of 12500
2x Intel E5-2650 v2 has a score of 19500
2x Intel E5-2670 v2 I don't know but probably about 22000 if they would've tested it

Basically those scores are pretty accurate in most applications. I don't know if gsa ser has a limit, because it's 32bit, it can only use so much memory. I don't want to spend 3-4x as much on a better cpu if it performs the same as a cheaper alternative.

Comments

• edited June 2014
    This:
    Or this:
    Or this:

All have IPMI - you can install own windows box license so you dont have to pay monthly fees for windows server license.

1650v2 and stronger dedis are very expensive. Instead of one E5-1650 v2 you can buy three e3-1230v2 (or similar) if you take a look around.

Btw some server providers take SER activity as ddos, so its better to split your ser licenses on multiple Xeons 1230v2 or similar servers than buy one strong dedi (like 2x Intel E5-2650 v2 or 2x Intel E5-2670 v2) because there is risk your dedi will be suspended.

P.S.

Strong dedis like 2x Intel E5-2650 v2 = alot of ram. You dont need 64 or 128 GB of ram for SER but you have to pay for it when you buy such dedi so its not good deal.
  • That's a great answer. Yeah I think i'll take the e3-1230 v2 then thanks for your advice :P
  • @jackl, does post back how gsa ser is faring on online.net. would like to know how well it goes before i make a hop
  • edited June 2014
    Online.net offer dell/hp servers, nearly noone offer dells or hp at this price so hardware quality is unbeatable. I have 2 dedis with them (i dont use ser on them) and all is ok. This dedis are sold out nearly all time so better buy now - you wont find Xeon 1230v2 with IPMI + 1gbps line with 200mbps premium bw for better price.
  • @satyr85, recommending and running is a different issue. To recommend a server for gsa ser means you have already ran on it.

What happens if jackl buys it under your recommendation and gets his service terminated because it is not gsa ser friendly?

• Don't most of the people run gsa ser without problems on hosts that ''don't allow it''?
    Since I see lots of people saying they use ovh etc don't think their policy is any different to online.
  • if many packets are being sent and received, your server might get null routed. 
  • Well that's confusing to say the least.
    No idea what to do now.
  • stranger 
    I was running SER on this servers (online.net) before i moved SER to stronger server in other DC, i would not recomend DC i dont know and i didnt tested, i was also running Xrumer on online.net servers via VPN - no problems. 

Ovh, online.net dont have policy that "dont allow" seo tools. They dont care what you do on server as long as they dont have abuse messages about your activity and you dont abuse network. Only problem when it comes to SER is traffic it can generate - because traffic is quite big it can look like ddos or something similar, i heard one guy had problems in hetzner but no problems on my side with online.net and ovh (in both i had SER/Xrumer in past but always with vpn or proxies).
  • @satyr85, may i ask what speeds and lpm are you getting at online.net and your current server at other DC? If possible  could you let me know which provider are you using now?
  • I was looking at online.net a while ago as their prices are really good. I gave up thought as I have no idea how to install my own windows on a dedicated server and their monthly fee for a license is pretty high. 
  • Sold out before I could buy so i'll have to find another server :( I have had a dedicated server with them before but not for gsa ser.
  • Actually I still have one more question does speed matter?

Like is there any benefit from 100mbps to 200mbps or even 1gbps?
  • edited June 2014
    for all people who complains about windows license, for example we provide it with the same price we get from microsoft which is $14.95 and we are not making money out of it (since most provider would do) however we are trying to provide the best price available for our clients

You can check even the cheapest which is ovh, charge $25USD for it

http://www.soyoustart.com/us/2014-windows-licences-pricing.xml

some providers that was mentioned here sell the same license for 30 and 40 euro just for windows alone which is around 40-50 usd just for windows standard license.. so i beleive this should answer all people questions

• Eh no offense but I don't think anyone complained about that in this thread.
  • You can get license for free if you know where to look ;)
    Hint:http://forums.mydigitallife.info/forums/15-Windows-Server