Skip to content

New Project Option Does Not Prompt For Project Name

At http://docu.gsa-online.de/search_engine_ranker/new_project your manual suggests that a New Project be specified by selecting the New (enter name) menu item option because this will "prompt you for a project name".

However, it does not. Selecting either of the two drop-down options results in exactly the same user interface appearing, and no project name is prompted. So I can never enter a project name and so I can never save a project.

Therefore I cannot use the software at all.

Please advise.

Comments

• Trevor_BanduraTrevor_Bandura 267,647 NEW GSA SER Verified List
    The prompt shows when you save the project.
  • edited June 2014
    There is no Save option. That is exactly my point. There is no prompt to save the project at any point, so no project can be saved.

Where, on the user interface, is the Save option? I cannot see one.
  • s4nt0ss4nt0s Houston, Texas
    You need to fill out all the data fields and set your options for the project, then you click "ok" on the bottom right side of the project window and its saved. If you want to rename it after its saved you can right click on the project > modify project > rename.

Also, you can click the little down arrow right next to the new project button and choose this option:

Then when you finish filling out your project details and press "ok" you will be prompted to enter the project name:

So you don't enter the project name first, that comes at the end after filling everything out and pressing "ok".

• OK, good thanks for that s4nt0s .

So there is no difference in choosing New (enter name) over New, despite what the GSA SER instructions say.

They are both just the same.

So why does the online manual suggest that these two options are different and that one is better than the other?

There are many other differences between the manual/instructions and actually using the software. It would be helpful if the instructions (both in the manual and in video representations) took account of the fact that people wishing to use the software actually had it to use and that they were seeking guidance by following the instructional manual/videos.

Sadly the guidance does not follow the usage of the software.

Perhaps the owners or the writers of the software will enlighten the users and the buyers....

• s4nt0ss4nt0s Houston, Texas
    There is a difference but they're not big differences. One of them prompts you to name the project after you click ok, the other will name it for you going off your entered URLS, but you can just right click and rename it. 

The third video down in those tutorials is one by Matt WW and its probably one of the newer tuts he did for his blog. Not sure if you have seen that one yet or not, but it might help.