Skip to content

Using multiple bought lists

I am relatively new to this, so appreciate any help I can get from this.

I have an existing list that I bought from @ron and his team's site. I am about to buy their newly released list, and I also am going to be buying another list from another forum member. So I will be having 3 lists. What is the best way to use this?

I am currently submitting to the first list I bought and I set it up under global options to select from this list when doing submissions. So this led me to think that only one list can be used at any one time, and if I need to use another list, I need to swap out the other list with the new list. I don't see a project local option for me to select the list, so again, I am presuming, under projects level, it does the submissions on the list based on the global option.

So, how can I fully maximize the 3 lists now, instead of needing to swap them out one after another?

Comments

• ronron SERLists.com

@qwiz - Time for me to get to bed, so you are the lucky guy that gets my final answer of the night.

Import each list into a different empty folder. So use the Identified, Submitted and Failed ports to map to each of these three different folders.

Remember that the only port that should ever have a checkmark is Verified - because that is where links are written. So never check those other three in Main options.

Now, however, your Projects are a completely different story. You could check mark all three (Identified, Submitted, Failed) in each project. Or you could focus certain projects by only selecting one list for each project.

Finally, you have the option to also import one or more lists into each project. Personally, I recommend importing a list(s) into each project, and also having the list checkmarked in the project. That is my preferred way to do it. And yes, you can import multiple lists into the same project, essentially 'layering' groups of target URLs right behind one another. You can even import the same list multiple times into the same project (I do that with my lists every day).

Your biggest thing to watch for is how much of a 'load' can your machine take. Personally I try to overload and break it so that I know its limits, lol. And quite honestly you should understand your limits on RAM and CPU. I never seem to have problems, but you may have a weaker setup, so you may not be able to load as much in the target URL cache. But like I said, give it a shot. I doubt anything bad will happen.

Importing a list is different than simply checking the box in projects. When you import, it forces SER and that project to try and post to each target. If you just tick the box in projects, SER chooses a target randomly from the list. Obviously when it does that, it will inevitably choose a lot of the same links it already parsed. So just checking the box is a less efficient way to process a list.

Finally, you may wonder if you import a list, then why bother checking a list. The answer is when the target URL cache is exhausted (meaning the list you imported), then SER looks for more targets. So it will then go to the folder you checked to look for more targets. So that checkmark is essentially your backup plan once the imported list has been fully used.

And with that, I say goodnight. 

• donaldbeckdonaldbeck Advanced SER Videos -> http://bit.ly/1ySrbwu | Learn SER For Free Step By Step -> http://sertips.com
    You could just import all 3 into the same folder. SER will append new URLs to the old ones.
  • Hi @donaldbeck, just to get further clarifications on what you wrote:
    "You could just import all 3 into the same folder. SER will append new URLs to the old ones"
    Let's say I've chosen the 'identified' folder to import my lists, and I import List 1, so it will create a list of text files according to the different engines like web 2.0s, articles, wikis, comments and so on. Then if I import the 2nd list, GSA ser will add on the list of URLs from this List 2 underneath List 1 in the same text file inside 'identified' folder, right? It does not create another text file from the same engine right? So adding a 3rd list List 3, will add the urls underneath the list of urls in the same text file under List 1's urls and List 2's urls and so on for additional lists, right?

Assuming the above is true, at what point do I need to swap out the old lists, basically throwing it away? I will keep buying newer lists to get newer targets, but old ones are also useful, but for yourself or other pros, at what point do you throw the old ones out? After month 1? after month 2...?

Thanks.
  • ronron SERLists.com

I will let @donaldbeck answer you, but I have to throw this in. Maybe Don can share his thoughts on this too...

I have merged lists before. You can import list after list into the same file - no problems mechanically doing that.

However, all lists are not equal. Each list performs differently. One list is inevitably older than the other. Another list may have been beaten into the ground while the other list is fresher.

When you merge a less productive list with a good performing list - in the same folder - the overall quality of link production goes down. It is like the weakest link in the chain theory. You ultimately pollute the better list with a less productive list. Overall link production efficiency goes down.

Some people may not care. I prefer to 'work a list'. Basically use that list to its full extent, and then move on. When I am bored, I may switch to an older list to pound on that one for a while. But I still keep them separate.

If I bought three lists, one from Trevor, one from Donald, and one from Ron, I would probably just import all three into each project, and then go golfing for the next 3 days, ROFL. Why mix them. Just import them into each project. And then have each one in a separate folder: Identified, Submitted, Failed. And have all projects check each of those three folders.

I tend to think that you are overthinking some of this. In real life, most people will keep them separate. But Don may have another opinion. But now you have my two cents as well. Now I have to get back to work, lol. 

• donaldbeckdonaldbeck Advanced SER Videos -> http://bit.ly/1ySrbwu | Learn SER For Free Step By Step -> http://sertips.com
    @qwiz First of all, I would listen to @ron since he wrote a very detailed answer. My answer is simply the laziest possible way to do what you wanted to do.

What you said is all correct though. The way the lists are combined I mean. If you put them in your identified folder, then after you posted to it for a while, you would have all the links that still work in your verified folder. So after posting to the 3 combined lists, you would end up with a purified list I guess.

I'm just theorizing to be honest though. I don't buy lists, or combine them.
  • Thanks @ron and @donaldbeck for your input.