Skip to content

Save A LOT on proxies?

Hi guys,
just got started with GSA, but have been reading/watching/learning so much, before actually having purchased the software.

This isn't my 1st post and a few of you may already know that I'm on a tight budget. Therefore I'm always trying to optimize my processes and minimize the costs.
Recently an idea has crossed my mind and I've decided to run it by you to get it confirmed.

I'm currently using 10 semi-dedicated proxies from buyproxies and I'm very satisfied so far. Only problem is, especially when you've just started with SER you'll need to scrape for URLs and you'll have to scrape a lot which will burn through your proxies really quickly. Posting and submitting on the other hand isn't that hard on the proxies, is it? (Assuming you're skipping hard to solve captchas like re-captcha and are not blasting the living hell out of your website)

So I figured, why not scrape for a bunch of public proxies using SER's built in proxy scraper and use your own private proxies for submitting?
Maybe my 'flash of genius' is basic knowledge for you more advanced and experienced guys, but I haven't read anything about that particular idea on the forum. In any case, I'd love to hear your oppinions on this.

Regards,
tixxpff

Comments

• I used to do this once with a very good source of proxies, so why not? I really can't see any reason not to do it.
  • Yep, I was trying this recently when I was dealing with bad proxies. It can work ok depending on how you set it. But in the end I moved to dedicated proxies and that is best for me.
  • @Samx That's what I'm aiming to do in the long run. But for now I'm looking for a cheap way to scrape. I don't mind waiting a little longer if neccessary.
  • Tixxpff it is definitely do-able and with SERs proxy finder not very annoying. Just try tinkering with what functions you use the public ones for and I bet you will find a setup that works ok.
  • That's what I did before, scrape public proxies for google scraping and buy private proxies for submitting/verifying. Results is slow but definitely work.
  • @fengli: How slow are we talking about here? Like 5-10x slower than with (semi-)private proxies? As of right now I'm using 10 semi-private proxies from buyproxies, but if it's a HUGE pain in the ass I wouldn't mind upgrading to 20 (or 30 if it's unavoidable).
  • I run the build-in scraper (Option->Search online for urls) in SER with public proxies scraped by SER, less than 10k identified in 1 day. With private proxies I can reach 30-50k identified per day, 60 semi-dedi proxies I used.

Now I've switched to gscaper as I want SER focus on link building only.
  • edited April 2014
    Holy fuck.. that's 3-5x faster.
    Mh.. I'll have to wait and see how my budget looks like.

Additionally to that I don't have GSA CB. I'm using an old version of Captcha Sniper. I really feel that I should focus on getting either one of the two at least. I guess having Captcha Sniper + public proxies will create a very tight bottle neck in the system.

Thanks for the input though,