Skip to content

Berman Hosting - A Tale Of Woe

Firstly, yes I know that I'm stupid...on two counts

1) Using Berman Hosting - In my defense, at the time Berman were the recommended VPS provider for SER. I've been with them for a couple of years and had no trouble until...see further down

2) I had backed up my SER system BUT to the Berman machine

So on 10th April my Berman server was down. I filled in a "High Priority" ticket and 16 hours later got :
"Please, accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused.
We updating our hardware for more good performance and security. When your VPS is online again you will receive email."

After a couple of reminders from my end on 15th April received :
"Please, accept our apologies for the delay. We are trying to solve the problem with our servers. When everything is done, we will compensate you for your downtime."

Another reminder from me and today 17th April, a whole week after the server went down I received :
"Unfortunately, the hard drive your VPS is on went corrupt and there is no way we can extract any data from it.
We need to to make a new machine for you. We will compensate you for this problem.
Please, accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused."

So that's it. All gone !!. My stupid fault for not moving the backup away from that server. I have asked them if they have any backups and I'm pretty sure that in 2 or 3 days time they'll reply "No".

So, what does everybody do about moving their backups away from their VPS ??

Comments

• i just closed my subscription with them, and will never go back again
  • Why you no backup on dropbox? 
  • Because I'm stupid...and can't see into the future :)

• Well, it didn't take 2 days to get the final reply, but it's exactly as expected :

"unfortunately there are no backups available for your machine."