Skip to content

Selfmade Private vs. Bought Private vs. Semi-dedicated Proxies

edited April 2014 in Other / Mixed
Based on the two previous tests here and here I decided to do one more take on the proxy testing issue and which proxies were more reliable. In this test I tested private proxies I set up myself (called: mpp), private proxies I bought from a well-known provider (called: bpp) and semi-dedicated proxies also gotten from a well-known provider (called: semi).

The setting: about 3 hours of running a list with 5 mpp, 5bpp and 10 semi - first at 100 threads (5 thread per proxy) then about 3 hours at 200 threads (10 threads per proxy). Recaptcha resolve errors were removed prior to checking the results.

Results:
mpp - 100 threads = 0.61 fail message participation per minute
mpp - 200 threads = 0.89 fail message participation per minute
increase in fail message participation: 46%

bpp - 100 threads = 1.17 fail message participation per minute
bpp - 200 threads = 1.47 fail message participation per minute
increase in fail message participation: 26%

semi - 100 threads = 1.37 fail message participation per minute
semi - 200 threads = 2.07 fail message participation per minute
increase in fail message participation: 51%

Conclusion:
As in the previous tests self-made private proxies are far better than bought ones, followed by semi-dedicated proxies. The interesting thing is that operating semi at 5 threads per proxy seems to have more or less the same reliability as operating bpp at 10 threads, with the price being more or less the same ($1 per semi * 5 threads = 5 threads per $; $2 per bpp * 10 threads = 5 threads per $) semi dedicated proxies give you a wider scope of ip addresses for the same price as bpp (with a slight + for semi).
It is to be noted however that 1.37 fail message participation per minute (semi at 5 threads) means 1973 fail message participation per day while running semi at 10 threads per proxy means an average of 2981 fail message participation per day. It does not mean the proxies failed that many times, it just means that whatever went wrong increasing the load on your proxies will cause them to fail more regardless of other errors and causes.
Whether or not the price of proxies is worth it for you, however, remains something of personal preference.

What do you think? Comments, suggestions?

Comments

• To be expected - self made proxies have no dirty laundry or baggage with them.
  • @Justin - tbh I expected bpp to be as good, after all - they are being sold for twice the price of semi proxies.
  • goonergooner SERLists.com
    I believe BPP's are recycled, passed from one customer to another over time. I don't know that for sure but that's just my assumption. If so, self made should always be cleaner which explains your test results.

I would be interested to know if the self made deteriorate with age though.
  • edited April 2014
    @gooner - I can't see why they would deteriorate if you switch off logging and writing to disk leaving the bare proxy. The only thing that could happen would be the ip getting marked as spam I guess, and maybe having to restart the server once every half a year or so.
  • how easy is it to create and maintain self made proxies?
  • @dmrt - setup is 1.) search "how to set up your own proxy server", 2.) follow the mentioned steps. Maintenance depends on how much you know about linux - if you know your way around you should be able to do it, if not you will not be able to do it.