Skip to content

How many links should point to homepage and how many to post ?

I have always wondered what the best ratio was for this. If you guys have a site with multiple post/pages each with different keywords your going for, do you just blast that post and none to the homepage or do you do a little of both ? 

Comments

• spunko2010spunko2010 Isle of Man
    Personally I do 85% to the page and 15% to the homepage. I've heard that your entire site will be penalised though if you build links to the homepage, whereas if it's to pages the penalty only passes to them. I have no idea if that's true or not, but a "natural" link profile would never be 100% to homepage or 100% to a page, in my opinion.
  • @spunko2010 with exception that your whole site consists just of one page.
  • davbeldavbel UK
    edited April 2014
    "entire site will be penalised though if you build links to the homepage, whereas if it's to pages the penalty only passes to them"

@spunko2010 is correct based on what I've read.  Although tbh I've never had any direct experience of this and anything I've ever gotten penalised seems to be sitewide rather than page specific...

But then I might just be too hardcore...

:D
  • I suppose the good thing about building links to inner pages is that if one gets penalised you can remove all the offending links by simply deleting the page and creating a new one with a slightly different url - you can't really do that with the index?
  • I think the problem is that people that throw backlinks at a homepage won't have an optimised homepage for 'all' of their keywords. I've seen many variations on this matter, though, and from my experience it looks like if you have SEO content on your site, inner pages, with a link to the homepage, and footer links to the homepage, and build links ONLY to the inner page, it leaks through and the homepage ranks and the inner page doesn't.....this is happening for multiple keywords and the homepage is NOT optimised for any of them. Quite annoying really, as I don't want the homepage to rank for any of those keywords but I don't have control of the footer/contextual links that have been added (client).

I hardly build any links to homepages now....read into that what you will, but experience/penalties has made me change, and as 2Take2 said you can just remove the bad pages and start again. Saves buying a new domain and all of that hassle.
    :(|)