Skip to content

Link devaluation overnight?

spunko2010spunko2010 Isle of Man
edited April 2014 in Need Help
Anyone seen a possible link devaluation (rather than a penalty) since yesterday? I've lost about 25% of traffic, nothing major, sure I can recover :) Just wondered if anyone else has seen this as I use SER to generate about 80% of my traffic. And it's across 4 of my sites, but not the new ones, always a sign...

Comments

• spunko2010spunko2010 Isle of Man
    Ok that's really odd. Piwik has updated now and shows no change. WTF
  • @spunko2010 are you running Piwik on it's own server or hanging it on the back of WP using the plugin? Is it as good as Analytics?

I've been using some of the WP analytics plugins, but none are really a touch on Google Anal
    Hi @davbel I'm running it via javascript insert, no need to get the WP plugin as far as I can tell when it's just 1 line of code IIRC that needs to be added. The bugger is the install, it has a few weird server requirements. It's not as good as Analytics although it is much simpler, but I cannot trust Google enough to use Analytics.
  • Do you have an idea of what sort of links are being devalued. Last year it was directories (and still is) and pretty much any non-contextual.
    edited April 2014
    Not really sure there was a devaluation as my stats counter was just playing up. However no doubt there will be devaluations on my sites soon. I'd guess at wikis but haven't checked. I do web 2.0/serengines, SN, trackbacks, wikis and articles mainly, never bother with directories or guestbooks which look like previous culprits.
  • Cool man, yeah I think wikis are suspect. Although, I remember loading in 90k of wikis into Wiki Bomber last year and I killed a few sites with it as a test. Obviously not all 90k were successful but even on tier 2 I could kill a site with them. I've never liked them after that. 

I'd be wary of trackbacks too, unless you're spamming like a crazy.