Skip to content

Windows 7 versus Win Server 2008

AlexRAlexR Cape Town
edited January 2013 in Need Help
I have a choice on which to setup on a new VPS. What is better to run CB and SER and why?

Can anyone offer advice on which is better and why? 

Like I hear that Win Server uses less RAM and/or CPU. If so, roughly how much less? 10% better? 20% more efficient on CPU or RAM?

I'm only running CB & SER.

Comments

• Yes Please don't get windows 8.  I had 2 of them.  I can't give you comparison in terms of ram and cpu percentages but I immediately switched back to windows 7 after a month.  the software does run on the servers.  In terms of performance it was just better on windows 7.  morever there is/was a glitch in windows 8 rdp that sometimes would rear its ugly head (google around about it if you don't believe me).  I didn't have cheap machines either there were xeon quad cores with 24 gigs of ram. It will do the job and depending on how hard you are pushing your machine the difference could be neglibible, but I was doing projects with over 500 k links across several machines so just from looking at this machine produce this and that machine produced that windows 7 everytime.  If you haven't used it it takes a moment to get used to as well.  At the same point in time I am not dogging it because there are bells and whistles that are noteworthy but for this because we are not talking about an OS  that was designed for tablets- we are talking about building backlinks on an OS that is proven to be stable.   
  • since when are new MS OS faster than the old ones? No even since 3.11 ...
  • ronron SERLists.com
    From everything I have heard, you want to run only Winserver 2008 R2 vs. any of the normal PC OS systems because it is far faster. How much more efficient I can't say, but I heard it was no contest.
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    A little feedback - on the VPS with Win 2008 Server, it's MUCH faster than Win 7...

Need some time to get some figures about improvement. 
  • edited January 2013
    Win 2008 Server was built to work as a server for websites as you already know. That means it's optimized for optimum performance when it comes to CPU & ram. You can optimize win 7 almost in the same way to use less cpu & ram but even if you do that you will still notice that win 2008 server is more stable and lighter and needs less restarts than win7.

Windows 2008 Server takes the lead hands down when it comes to servers and vps's.
  • lol my bad I misread this; thought you were referring to windows 8; lol; 
  • @mamadou

On my latest VPS, I made the mistake of choosing Win 7 64-bit as the OS and since I'm already setup on it, I'd like to optimize it.

Can you recommend any resources for optimizing VPS running Win 7 64-bit?
  • @RockDiesel

I would start with turning off visual effects and some other stuff :

1- click start >> run and type " Performance Information and Tools " ..then hit enter.

2- On the left top corner click on the " Adjust visual effects"

3- Choose "Adjust for best performance" and click ok.

4- click start >> run and type "System Configuration" ..then hit enter.

5- click on the Startup tab and uncheck all the programs you don't need.

6- Also uninstall all the programs you don't use or need.

7- Finally , try to get rid of the win7! and switch to win 2008 server.

Good luck.
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    @RockDiesel - just ask your host to switch OS. I did it on 3x VPS's. Very easy. 2 hours later it was all done...

I do have a slick backup system so was quick to reinstall everything. 

It's a world apart in performance!
  • Not directly related but...

Anyone tried Win 2012 Standard? I noticed its license is cheaper. May save a bit of cost there.
  • @mamadou

Thanks for the tips.

I may just do that.  What backup system did you use?
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    I just regularly select backup all projects, and place them in dropbox. Thus, on a new OS, just need to load dropbox and it's all there. :-)
  • edited January 2013
    @GlobalGoogler

wow...i amaze myself sometimes on how i always overlook the simplest solution.

i have dropbox on my vps already, so yeah...i could easily backup projects to there.

originally, i thought you were talking about backing up all the apps and stuff on your VPS and somehow restoring them when your OS switched over.

anyways...thanks again for the help.  sending support ticket today to switch over to 2008.

does it matter if I get Win 2008 R2 Standard or Win 2008 R2 Enterprise?  the licenses are the same price.
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    No idea about standard or enterprise. I'd go for the simplest. 
  • Globalgoogler is right. Go for the standard edition.
  • I'm using Win2k8 because there wasn't the option for Win 7. But as others said, it's optimized for a lot connections, stability and performance.

Instead of Dropbox I would recommend Wuala. It's free to, but with much more security and sync options. Would be nice if you use my aff link to extend my space: http://www.wuala.com/referral/P6BNH74FAKMFP5PG4B34
  • OzzOzz
    edited January 2013
    BitTorrent is starting also a dropbox alternative with unlimited storage.

"BitTorrent Inc. has released a new application that allows users to securely sync folders to multiple devices using the BitTorrent protocol. The free application has no storage limits and can serve both as a public backup system and a shared drive. BitTorrent Sync is especially efficient for groups who need to share many large files over the Internet."
  • yeah.... nonone leaches over torrent anymore in europe. I too got two cease an desists letters :-)

• OzzOzz
    edited January 2013
    well, BitTorrent is just a protocol which isn't just used for pirating (but most people using it for that though). As the proxy site for the 'Pirate Party UK' was one of the most visited sites in Britain before they had to stop their service I think your statement isn't entirely true.
    However, this is just an interesting alternative to dropbox IMO which can be used for piracy of course just like dropbox or youtube, or ... .