Skip to content

I am Missing Backlinks

edited September 2012 in Need Help
I started my campaign about a week ago.  I have been building links at
about 250 a day but they are being deep linked on my website.  When I
started I had around 396 IB links.  Yesterday 404 and today 71!  In all
fairness I  had my website (Joomla) updated recently and all kinds of data
needed to be changed around.

So either it was this update that took these links or it was GSA ---->Google.

Feedback Appreciated.

Frank
Tagged:

Comments

• s4nt0ss4nt0s Houston, Texas
    I don't get it. How are you tracking your links and where did they disappear from exactly?
  • Dont use google to track inbound links, they even say it is just a sample or something similar.
    Use ahrefs of similar if you must, or just track rank, which is really all you care about i imagine
  • Well honestly I am just  using my firefox browser.  SEO Quake plugin.  Yesterday it showed over 400 links and today only 71. Backlinkwatch shows a total of 124 of which I am guessing 71 are unique.  I am not blaming GSA as it could have from a recent update to my Joomla website.  I have never heard of anyone actually losing links before when they are building links!

In the past week I submitted over 1,011 links which 626 were verified.

Again, it may not be a function of GSA!

Also I get thousands of   verifications failed.

Losing links is 100% normal for SEO. As a matter of fact if you use a service like ahrefs they have graphs that show how many links you lose over time + how many new backlinks you gain. With platforms like guestbooks you don't really "lose" the link but the link will move off the page onto a new page and it will make it look like the link has disappeared.

Verification failed just means the link wasn't found. When you see verification failed just think of it as saying, "link not found". Nothing is really failing and this is normal. :P
  • Hello:

Well I went back up to 427 links and the other day I am back to 48! 
    There is obviously something wrong.  I don't blame GSA.  There is
    something wrong with my website.  It is a Joomla website and has been
    upgraded from 1.5 to 2.5.  There are some very knowledgeable people here
    who may know what is causing this.  I have disabled GSA targeting my
    website.  It seems stupid to build links to my website when they only
    get delete.

Thanks,
  • I am not sure if I am allowed to put the link to my site in here.  If not please delete it.  My website is: http://welovebogota.com.
  • The way you are tracking your links is all messed up.  Seriously,   SEO quake was good for tracking links when they had the Yahoo Site explorer.  Since that is gone  the only options left are pretty much the on S4nt0s Mentioned.

And 2nd.   Why are you putting so much emphasis on your backlink.   They come and go  simple as that.   The only thing you should be tracking is Movement of your site.  Is your Ranking Higher?   Or is it ranking lower?   If it's ranking lower since you've started than yeah maybe it's time to reevaluate your Project(s)
  • Well I also look at my links in other ways.  They are just not there and I don't believe they come and go so easily.  I had over 400 backlinks for over a year.  They stuck.  So I really thing something is drastically wrong.  My ranking is lower for that website since I started.  I will do some research and see what I come up with.  Thanks so much for showing an interest.
  • Anytime.

One thing that does happen to me quite a bit since i started with GSA and this could be a penguin or a panda thing but when I use GSA sometimes sites will dissapear for a while.and than after a week or two they came back ranking a lot higher than before.  This never ever happened to me pre penguin/panda.    I honestly couldn't tell you or give you a clue as to what could be going on on with your backlinks cause I honestly just don't track them.  I only track the rankings.  :(
    edited September 2012
    I just ran a backlinks report on your site with Ahrefs and you have over 1,300 backlinks and the charts show a steady increase in backlinks. In fact, the chart shows that you've lost very very little backlinks.

• @Hunar thanks for your response.  I guess I shouldn't worry too much about them but it seems really strange that I am losing links at an alarming rate.  Basically every link I have built is missing and I lost some of my previous links too.

Please take a look at this below:
    imageimageimageimageahrefs.com/site-explorer/overview/subdomains/http%253A%252F%252Fwelovebogota.com

edited September 2012
    @lostgringo - That link doesn't work that you posted.

I don't understand how you're saying you're losing backlinks at an alarming rate? Ahrefs shows you've lost only 7 backlinks this month? That is nothing to be worried about at all.