Skip to content

Will this configuration run 1000 thread and 50+ Campaigns

I am currently running GSA on a Windows Server 2008 VPS which is 2 x 2.0GHz processor, 1GB RAM and un-metered 1Gbps connection. I struggle to smoothly run 10+ campaigns with a little over 150 threads. Maybe that is because of shared CPU recurses but I am not sure.

I am currently looking to have in run  on a separate PC at my home but I need to know if it will be able to run smoothly with the following configuration 

CPU

Intel Celeron 1037U dual core 1.8GHZ

RAM

DDR3 1333 4GB RAM

Hard Disk

FASTDISK 60GB SSD

Internet         2-4Mbps DSL (unlimited)

Comments

• BrandonBrandon Reputation Management Pro
    The problem with your current server is the 1gb of ram. The problem I see with your proposal is the 2-4 mbps. Trying to run 1000 threads will easily max out that connection.
  • penumbrapenumbra Antarctica
    You can't do that on that config.
  • I can't run 1000 threads and 50 campaigns without getting "ran out of memory" issue or SER stucked with various other issues on 36 GB DDR3 ECC, dual xeon L5520 CPU and 1000 mbps speed, so, the answer for you is - no.

• KaineKaine thebestindexer.com
    edited November 2014
    You can run how many thread you want, just more you want and less result you are. They are many technical issu for that, 1 Gbps don't want says you can pusch x thread.

Maximum flow is only on one connection ...
  • CPU will start max out to 100+ threads.
    So not close to 1000 threads...
  • The problem I have is that even if I up the no. of threads way past to 250, the RAM usage never exceeds more than 90% (total 1GB RAM) while CPU is always touching 100% utilization for threads above 150. I might be missing the game here. Uptil now I was under the impression that SER is CPU intensive.
  • Tim89Tim89 www.expressindexer.solutions
    You will not be able to run at 1000 threads no.
  • I have a similar question for the following config:

AMD Dual Opteron 2216 2.4Ghz (2 processors, 4 cores, 4 threads)
    4GB DDR2 ECC
    146 GB SAS

Will this be enough for 50 projects and 1000 threads?
  • BrandonBrandon Reputation Management Pro
    @kashifM RAM and CPU need to each be increased as you run more campaigns and more threads. You can't have a 1GHz processor and 32 GB of RAM. You also can't have a quad core 3.4 ghz processor and 1gb of ram.

@Monie yes I think you could.

Anyone asking these questions always needs to remember that SER isn't about the server it runs on, it's about you gaining experience in how it runs and what needs to be done in order for it to run better and better. As I mentioned, I now use cheap servers and have learned to configure it in such a way that it does what I need without the most powerful servers. I bought my first license two years ago so I've been around through a few versions :)
  • kashifM You are right SER want to eat more CPU than RAM. Ram is more for handling files on PC than posting in sites. All POST and GET request programs are CPU intensive. 

Monie Please understand that this is actually not possible to tell you that. Why ?

1. If you run blog comments then Yes you will be able to run 1000 threads
    2. If you run contextual links what require registration and posting then NO you will not be able to run 1000 threads. 

Another thing what can affect threads and CPU usage, is Proxies, If you have bad proxies that hang x sec. on one site then it will be more CPU intensive than fast proxies what works flawlessly...

As you see it is really not possible to give answer on such question. 

Hope that helps
  • The whole idea behind this thread was to decide between a VPS and a home owned Mini PC. This is what I come up with.

VPS
    ================
    Cores 2-4 x 2.0GHz
    RAM 2-4GB
    Space : Not a problem
    Internet : 100Mbps
    Cost $25-$40 per month

Home mini PC
    ==================
    Cores 4 x 2.0 GHz
    RAM 4GB
    Space : Not a problem
    Initial Cost : $220
    Internet 8Mbps : $60/month (2-4Mbps is $10-$15 only)

So VPS is a clear winner here and also the only thing stopping me from getting all the configuration in my home is high cost of Internet connection. I can go with a 4Mbps connection but it will slow down the no. of links created each day and 8Mbps is way too expensive.

The money saved on VPS will be well spent in getting some proxies.
  • @botman
    I have exactly opposite results!
    If I run only contextual projects, I can run 40 projects with 800 threads (CPU Usage no more than 20-40%), but if I run only spam projects (like blog comments), with the same dedicated server I can only run 4 or 5 projects with no more than 200 threads (and the CPU go to the sky... 90% and more).

How can you handle 1000 threads with blog comments?

• kashifM You can not compare VPS configuration with Dedicated server configuration those are actually two different things. In VPS you can show configuration what is equal to Dedicated server configuration where that VPS is just part of it. 

peterperseo My point was not to tell how much link per minute you can get in one or in another way but to show point that it is actually not possible to give one answer for any situation.

Cheers
  • @botman
    Ok, it doesn't matter the quantity of threads or LPM, my point was that I usually have results opposite to yours.
    Contestual projects very very much faster and "light" than spam/comment projects.
    Contestual -> Low Ram usage, low CPU usage, higher threads, higher lpm
    Comments -> High Ram usage, high CPU!!, less threads, less lpm.

Hope it's clear my point now, you said exactly the opposite thing! That's why I was asking you how can it be possibe for you...