Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GSA Contact Form After GPDR

Putting this here as I don't want it to be on the public forum. Does GDPR make the tool useless? I've just had a cyber tech guy lambast me for using his contact form as a marketing tool. Gave some big long speech about ICO and GDPR (tomorrow) that I'd be 'f**ked' if I keep doing it.

Of course, I'll figure a work-around for it, but seems like I might be shitting on my doorstep.

Best Answers

• looplineloopline autoapprovemarketplace.com
    edited May 2018 184.176.122.190 Accepted Answer
    Have you read the GDRP laws or really researched it?  I have. 

Im no attorney and I don't have time to go deep but GDRP has nothing to do with email and other stuff.  The biggest thing there is with GDRP is mass confusion, lol. 

Ive had people leave comments in my opt out that they can't wait to go after spammers once GDRP goes into effect. 

GDRP is NOT about sending mail, not at all.  Its about personal privacy.  So if you send mail do support@domain.com GDRP doesn't cover it. 

If you send mail to Judder.Man@domain.com now it falls under GDRP because there is personal identifiable information. 

Its about personal info:

Also if you have information and you know that Bob is the person getting the mail at support@domain.com then it falls under GDRP. 

Eprivacy covers sending messages, somewhat sort of like CAN SPAM does in the US, but different.  Eprivacy has been around for years and probably will get an update, but it pretty much just lays out the boxes to check so you can do it legitimately. 

Contact form marketing is seemingly actually a nice loophole.  You have no idea who is getting the contact form, you arent' using any personal info, so it falls outside of GDRP.  It probably does fall inside of Eprivacy but just do the basic stuff like provide real info, an address, don't mislead in the subject or body of the mail, provide an opt out all that stuff. 

Now if you have a spreadsheet and it has a list of companies and their websites and contacts at the company who answer the webform.  Or if you have that and you know its 1 man shows, like realitors for example and you use their contact form and you know bob the realitor answers the form. 

If you drop that spreadsheet in website contact and start using the columns to personalize the message like

Hey %name% (where the column header was "name" and it was a business owners name that you know owned the business or answered the form) - well now you went and used personal info so your subject to GDRP. 

So the thing is, GDRP is going to do zero to stop spam mail.  All its going to do is shift the way legitimate businesses like you and I contact customers. 

When it comes to email people used to filter out info@domain.com and look for sally@domain.com.  Now they are going to filter sally@ and send mail to info@

Email best practices says personalize, but GDRP says generalize, lol. 

Thats my take and what the research shows on GDRP and how it affects contact form marketing and email etc. 

Now while I have your attention please allow me to rant for 25 seconds.  My personal opinion is GDRP was an invention of the government so they could collect large sums of cash from big companies when they break they law and at the same time it allowed the government to come out smelling like roses because they built it on the back of "providing privacy" to the people. 

All of us give up more privacy then ever each day, more and more.  For time and speed and convenience.  I do it and I know it and Im ok with it.  GDRP will help some people sleep better at night believing that the government isnt spying on them and that there personal information is safe.  When in fact their personal info is no more safe and if anything now more of a target and the goverment is still spying on them. 

So in reality its way impossible to enforce and you can look at the sheer idea of it.  The EU wants you to pay someone to be a delegate in the EU so that if they can find a way to fine you that they can enforce it. 

GDRP is not about personal privacy its about money and power with a political twist to make the government look good and the people happy. 

I think it will only come into play when its big companies or big offenders that get people in an uproar.  Or on the occasion you happen to tick off the wrong person that knows the right people. 

Else it takes money to go after all these little things and they aren't interested in losing money.  They being the government. 

Anyway, its the same old same old, money and power, the government is the only entity on the planet that can make up a rule out of thin air and charge you money for breaking it.  And that is GDRP in a nutshell. 

Thanks for reading.  :D 

Thanked by 3Sven s4nt0s Deeeeeeee
  • s4nt0ss4nt0s Houston, Texas
    76.30.8.49 Accepted Answer
    You can tell @loopline has done his research.  Thanks for educating me on GDRP.

I've received so many emails from different companies about their new updated privacy policies due to GDRP. I had to go through and update all my websites privacy policies.

Good to hear that contact form submission shouldn't be affected by this. ;)

Answers

• SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    Im no lawyer, but the tool does nothing this:
    a) surf a webpage
    b) search for the contact page
    c) send a message

if that would be illegal then i don't know why a contact form would be there at all? the program does not break any laws in my eyes but then again, im no lawyer.
    Thanked by 1Deeeeeeee
  • Thanks Sven, that's my take on it too.

But, let me send you an email I received from the guy. It's really made me think...
  • SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    Thanks a lot @loopline for your view on this topic.
  • DeeeeeeeeDeeeeeeee the Americas
    edited May 2018 108.21.83.142
    “‘personal data’ means any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person (‘data subject’); an identifiable natural person is one who can be identified, directly or indirectly, in particular by reference to an identifier such as a name, an identification number, location data, an online identifier or to one or more factors specific to the physical, physiological, genetic, mental, economic, cultural or social identity of that natural person”. -ico.örg.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation-gdpr/what-is-personal-data/what-is-personal-data/

This is RUBBISH. I have worked with PII data in the past; Personally Identifiable Information CANNOT, by its nature, include an "online moniker." It's insensible! :o

Anyone can register on any site with any name. B)

We don't have official online identifiers, and thus including them seems specious, unless this is their future plan? There could judder.man@aol.com,judderman81@aol.com, etc... Plus, Judderman could change his email every month.

This is thus potentially highly variable, whereas many of the above factors are constants.  Even physical address is mostly a fixed value. When you want to change it, it's a big deal. So for all intents and purposes, a constant as well.

Why not a cell phone number in this?!  If a purely numerical ID number could be included, why not a numeric phone number? That's not actually an "ID number', and thus is it excluded from this law I guess?

"Also if you have information and you know that Bob is the person getting the mail at support@domain.com then it falls under GDRP.  " -Judderman

But then, how can it be proven without dispute that you know Bob is getting the mail? A lot of assumptions in this law...

"GDRP is not about personal privacy its about money and power with a political twist to make the government look good and the people happy.  "

This sorts legislation literally gives me a stomach ache.  :(   The people "want action", any action, and the politicians deliver...but what's delivered is usually not exactly what the people think... :(

Great post and comments, pplz.!~
  • *oops citation should have been @loopline
  • looplineloopline autoapprovemarketplace.com
    Thats it, its so broadly defined that its hard or impossible to enforce.  But that just plays to what I said, they broadly defined it knowing full well down the track that its so loose that big companies are bound to screw up and money will be rolling in for years. 

Of course at what level they enforce it, who knows.  Its literally impossible to enforce it as it stands, which is why its just part of a chess move in the game of money and power, a game the government will always win.
  • "Of course at what level they enforce it, who knows.  Its literally impossible to enforce it as it stands, which is why its just part of a chess move in the game of money and power, a game the government will always win. "

I know I hate thinking about politics, such a waste of time!! :p

However, I do think about society and life a lot, and it's clear you're right on this one. :(

I guess realistically, votes for politicians are not so effective. You have to do what lobbyists do and get your point across to those guys who want to get re-elected.

I speak but do not do; I do see this works, though. Of course, there are lobbyists and set plans and interests and no writing or calling elected officials is going to change.

But we can all do more to have our voices heard. We just don't speak up.

Again, I'm the worst example of this...so not chastising anyone but myself and all! :)