Skip to content

Root URL/Variations

AlexRAlexR Cape Town
edited August 2012 in Need Help
Thanks for adding this feature! 

1) What % does it set to the root URL? I.e. if I have 100 URL's inserted what % of links will have target URL's as root URL?
2) Would it be possible to have a drop down and select a few extra URL's? (e.g. most sites have 2 or so landing pages and a blog that should get a higher link ratio - currently these have to be set as extra projects to get higher overall link ratio)

Thanks

Comments

• SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    If you set the option of url variations to 50%, it will also set 50% of them to root.
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    1)Would it be possible to have a drop down and select a few extra URL's? (e.g. most sites have 2 or so landing pages and a blog that should get a higher link ratio - currently these have to be set as extra projects to get higher overall link ratio)?

2) So you are saying that in the box above, if I set URL variation to 50%, this will tell the program to set the target URL as 50% of submissions? E.g. I have 10 website page URL's and I set the URL variations to 50%, it will post 50% of submissions with target urls as root and then split the other 50% of submissions over the other 9 page URL's?

1) No that will not get added. Its complicated enough already.

2) It's like this:

• choose one of your URLs to submit
    • on 50% (or your setting to this option) it will modify the URL 
    • on that same percentage it will also modify it to the root domain if you enabled that option.

With a setting of 50% you will end up with about 25% of your submitted URLs pointing to the root domain.

• AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    I don't think I quite understand your response in pt2. :(

So I have imported 1 root URL' and 9 other page URL's. So I now have 10 URL's in the dropdown.

1) I select any URL in the dropdown.
    2) I set "use Root/main URL" in some variations.
    3) I then set URL variations %.

If I set URL's variations to 50% - I get 25% submitted URL's pointing to root domain.
    • What happens if I set variations to 100%? Do I get 50% of submitted URL's pointing at root?
    • What happens if I set variations to 25%? Do I get 12.5% submitted URL's pointing to root?
    Thanks!
    Yes you understood it correctly beside that the settings are not for one chosen URL from the box but for all URLs.
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    Thanks 

This is a very useful feature. (maybe include a note on it for other users in the update history - it only says add root URL feature.) :-)
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    If I set it to 100% for URL variations and I select use root. 

Then 50% of target URL's will have root domain. What will happen with the remaining 50% of target URL's. How will they be displayed. Since it is now at 100% it means that they will also be varied?
    The remaining URLs will link to the wanted target, just that they are modified in a way that you will e.g. see "HTTP://" instead of "http://" or something else like a upper/lower case mix in the domain name.
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    I see that the option includes "Root URL variation". I understand this option now. 

If I have 5 sub pages. e.g. /page1 or /page2 etc.

If I set root url and set variation to 100%, will it ever post the URL of subpages? i.e. /page1 as the anchor? 

OR do I do this by inserting a %URL% token into the anchor? (e.g. site#{|keyword|%URL%|keyword 2})
    You are mixing all kind of things here. The URL variation has nothing to do with the anchor text.
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    Sometimes it must display the URL and not anchor. This what I am asking. How do I get it to display page urls in some instances?
    thats handled by generic/natural anchors. If you edit that file you will see %url_domain%