Skip to content

GSA SER Question

rsharpe75rsharpe75 United Kingdom
@Sven @shaun @redrays and @ anyone else able to give me a shove in the right direction.

I'm going to start using GSA SER for the very first time next week and I've spent a few months watching and reading loads of tutorials (thanks to everyone who created these tutorials).

The money/target site is fairly huge.  It has upwards of 250,000 pages.  It only has about 100 important pages.

For my idea is to map keyword groups to each of these 100 pages.  For example:

keywords relating to hardware supplies in general will be mapped to the home page
keywords relating to hammers will be mapped to the page about hammers
keywords relating to spanners will be mapped to the page about spanners

I'm guessing I take all my manually sourced keywords and then enter them into the keywords field in GSA SER.  This will help GSA find targets.  I will then use the "anchors" field in GSA SER to place the 15-20 keywords that I want that specific page to rank for.

The part that I stumble at is the articles.  I am getting custom articles written (no scrapped stuff) and I was wondering how many article I would need.  I know the articles will be spun (I'll be using spin rewriter), but what is a good number of articles to add into GSA SER? Does it depend on the number of keywords being targeted? Does it depend on the number of days you'll be running the T1 campaign? Are there other considerations?

I'm just trying to make sure I have all the content I need for my initial campaign so I can run it, see how everything fits together, and then be more prepared as I continue to use the software.

Any help and suggestions would be immensely appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• HinkysHinkys SEOSpartans.com - Catchalls for SER - 30 Day Free Trial
    First of all, by reading your post I get the feeling you're not using a sitelist. My suggestion is...use one (or either set it up yourself). Point being, don't let just SER find targets as that's inefficient.

Also, I get the feeling you're targeting the website with SER directly which I generally wouldn't recommend but seeing as it's such a large site, which hopefully has other backlinks, it's not that much of an issue.

In your T1, you should have more than just "keywords you want to rank for" as anchors. In fact, you should have a lot more keywords, money keywords should only be 5-10% of your T1 anchor profile. You can just use a large list of LSI / long tail keywords (1 list for hammer page, another list for spanner page, etc) that you build based on keywords you want to rank for any particular page (on top of brand / generic / naked url anchors).

On higher tiers it doesn't matter as much what you use but diversity is still important.

Regarding articles, if you're just spinning them automatically using spin rewriter they aren't going to be really unique so you probably need a lot of them (or a lower number of links in T1). This is assuming you want them still being readable and somewhat making sense (which is the only point of getting them written instead of being auto-generated as far as I'm concerned).

In fact, if you're going with hand-written articles I'd keep the spinning to a minimum and play it like a content syndication campaign (more brand anchors, less everything else).

Ideally you wouldn't post the same article on more than ~10 sites but as an absolute maximum I'd put it at < 100 sites / article. Also you'd want this to be quality sites and you want to make sure that the articles will stick.

On higher tiers it doesn't make sense to use hand-written articles so you should look into one of the many content generators available.

Hope at least some of this is helpful.
  • rsharpe75rsharpe75 United Kingdom
    @Hinkys firstly, thank you for such a detailed response. It has definitely given me some food for thought as I am sure it will for others that are just starting out.

I will be using a SEREngine as the sitelist, but maybe that just isn't enough as it mostly covers Web 2's.  I'll add something like looplines sitelist to the mix and hopefully that will also cover me for the higher tiers.

Yes, my plan was to directly target the main site with T1 links using SER.  Is this something that I should reconsider? I was then going to build out T2 to T1 and T3 to T2.  Something I originally thought was standard when using SER.

I really appreciate your feedback on the articles; this was something I was struggling to get my head around.  All the tutorials I've seen seem to go over a lot of the features in SER and how to use them, but none of them touched on the actual use of articles.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to write out a very detailed and helpful reply.

• HinkysHinkys SEOSpartans.com - Catchalls for SER - 30 Day Free Trial
    Well pointint SER directly might have been the standard...3+ years ago. Nowdays I wouldn't really do it. It's much safer to have a buffer between it and your site if you care about long-term at all. (PBN is the preferred choice tho quality hand-made web 2.0s work as well).

Why they don't touch on articles is because they're all assuming you're using one of the many content generators for SER (no need to explain that too much as it's pretty straight-forward) and hand-written for PBNs / web 2.0s.

As far as going with tiered approach, that's still fine but like I said, you're better off using PBN / web 2.0s as T1 and then using SER on T2 & T3 (and send T3 to an indexer).
  • shaunshaun https://www.youtube.com/ShaunMarrs
    I only skimmed your post but I would imagine you are wasting cash on getting custom articles wrote only to spin them. Rankbrains AI seems to be very good at detected spun content these days and discounting any links from those pages from your link graph anyway.