Skip to content

Do User Profiles Need a Backlink?

Good day, GSA pplz......

What I want to know is this: Do my user profiles require a link in them?

@s4nt0s: What about the SEREngines?  Do those User Profiles for these engines require a backlink?

Thank you!

Comments

• shaunshaun https://www.youtube.com/ShaunMarrs
    As far as I know the link is required for SER to verify the submission.
  • DeeeeeeeeDeeeeeeee the Americas
    edited November 2017
    So I should def rewrite each of my user profiles' data to include a URL using the macros?
    Not sure what you mean, did you use SER to build these profile links?
    edited November 2017
    Yes, I am using GSA-SER to build the links that have profiles.

I have the fields in both GSA native engines and SERengines pointing to my about_yourself.dat file, which is a collection of a bunch of spun user profiles I made to replace the defaults.

None of those profiles have a macro for a URL right now. Am I supposed to place a URL for each profile in my spun about_yourself.dat file?

Sorry if I'm being unclear....
    Hmm, not sure I understood this correctly then.

I don't understand how SER would be able to verify the submission if there was no URL for it to perform its verification checks against.

Just to clarify, SER is both submitting and verifying these profiles for you but there is no URL in the project?

I think this is probably one for @Sven
  • SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    you don't need to put a link anywhere, SER will add it if it can place a link and no link was added by you. It will also leave out the link if you do not have profile links enabled in project options->link type.
    Thanked by 1Deeeeeeee
    @sven So just to clarify, SER is able to verify its submissions if it does not have a URL within the submission on the page it needs to verify? I always thought the URL was required for some reason.
    there is no url needed to verify it.
    Thanked by 1Deeeeeeee
    Thanks guys, for your responses. :)

@Sven, thank you for clearing this up for me!! Slowly, I'm starting to better understand how GSA-SER works, but I'm sure I'll have many more ridiculous questions before I can really say I do. lol Thanks also for your patience!

No problem. I really think it's about time to write a proper manual.
    Thanked by 1TheGypsy
  • I haven't followed closely the updates for some time now so could you update on me as this is somehow related @Sven.
    Last time I checked SER was able to post contextuals without links and verify them if I set the linking percentage to 1%. It meant that if the articles contained any pre-spun links then those got removed too.
    You said that you were working on a solution to let SER posting articles without inserting or removing any links into them. It's a "Post articles as they are." kind of thing.
    Is that out yet or still in the works?
    @TheGypsylet me copy/paste the hint text from "how to link" in article manager...

1. Sentence at a random location
    2. Sentence at the bottom
    => Means that a sentence with anchor/link is added to the article.
    ---
    3. Just a link at a random location
    => Means the anchor/link is added in a random sentence.
    ---
    4. Use first present link
    => Your article must have links added. That first found link will be used as verification. A link is added nevertheless if none was found by any of the variations above.
    ---
    5. Random word/phrase
    => A random word/phrase is chosen from the article to place a link on. Your anchor will not be used.
    ---
    6. No Link (removes also present links)
    => This will produce articles with no link at all. Even links that you added in the article will be removed.
    ---

Linking type 1-5 will only apply, if there is no word/phrase present in the article that matches the chosen anchor text.
    It will always link directly if possible to not destroy the read flow.

----

So you want another link type that will keep it as it is, whenever there is a link in it or not. right?
  • In short yes.

The idea is to mimic a general blog. Let's say I'm in the travel niche. I want to create travel web 2.0 blogs which tend to post all sort of crap from food through photography to tourists guides. I use these kind of articles as filler articles and I don't want any link in them to my site.
    Then I want articles which is about the keyword I target and I want a link back to my site from these articles.

I prepare the articles in advance so the articles I want to contain links are already there and the rest of the articles should not contain any link back to the money site.

Ideally SER could pick a random article (without matching it with the anchor) put the link in the articles that contain the keyword and not add any link to articles that has no keyword. This would make the link placement more random but I'm not sure how could you integrate this into SER's flow of posting.

in latest update it has a new point where you can do that.