Skip to content

Would it be possible to implement a pause button for running projects?

DeeeeeeeeDeeeeeeee the Americas
edited November 2017 in Feature Requests
Good morning, @Sven and GSA pplz...

I don't know that you would want or need to do this.  Of course, I expect you to be better able to gauge what is actually worth your time and worth the users' time. So this is just an idea, not really a request.

Right now, I can stop the projects, which then, as I understand, ceases all Active projects from starting new threads and finishes up with all the open threads until zero remain open.

What I considered was just a pause button, which causes a  temporary cessation of starting of new threads, while active threads' connections are either kept alive, or allowed to just sit and time out if that's what they do.

Meanwhile, as the active projects sit in pause, either doing (very) little or no work, the user (or task automator - I haven't gotten this far yet!) can do then other stuff, like deal with proxies, or other settings that cause changes when altered on-the-fly.

Finally, the user can then resume, and have the new proxies set up or whatever, without starting again at 1/17000.

Comments

• SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    you can set it inactive and active when feel like it should continue. Nothing is lost if you set it inactive.
  • DeeeeeeeeDeeeeeeee the Americas
    edited November 2017
    If it's scraping targets, does SER have to start  again at the beginning?

I guess what I mean is, does SER save all the targets it finds after scraping search engines, like when the user adds targets via the many ways GSA will accept lists, and the targets remain there until processed?
    each time you start it it will create a random order of search engines, footprints and keywords. But also keeps found targets in cache for next start.
    Thanked by 1Deeeeeeee
    edited November 2017
    Thanks @Sven. I didn't know this.

So, a run of projects can be more or less successful, in terms of amazing targets, based in part on randomness of order and particular sites and engines?

Cool. :)

I actually like randomness....

So I should sit there and be like, "C'mon...good targets....good targets....." with my fingers crossed?? lol
    well what does it matter? Those "not so good targets" would have been proceed anyway.
    True...

I always like an element of randomness. Plus, it makes sense to not always start on the same engines. :)