Skip to content

Ask for experts, does non .com TLDs can be used for PBN?

Hi
I found namecheap offer some cheap price domains, but seems just for .pw .site .space and non .com TLDs. does these domains can be used for PBN?

Comments

• DeeeeeeeeDeeeeeeee the Americas
    edited October 2017
    First, I'm not an expert! But I do pay attention...

Non-standard TLDs are probably fine for PBNs.

You are looking to pass "link juice" or whatever, not rank those sites in the SERPs.

Can non-dot-com sites be used as your "money site" and rank in the SERPs?

Yes. 

Are they less favored? 

Maybe. I believed so, but I may have been wrong.

• Google says that all TLDs are equal.
    People aren't really comfortable with them as those TLDs were used for scam, spam and selling cheap crap. We may see if anything changes with the new hoard of them.

Some say that there is a negative bias towards them but there are no tests have been done to prove anything.

I would say that if this is your first PBN go with the cheap ones as you gonna screw it up anyway :P
  • redraysredrays Las Vegas
    There have been tests to prove some forms of negative bias, for example many of the cheap TLDs take longer to index / index fewer pages than ones like .com. I'm not aware of any tests showing that they pass less link juice though.
  • Do you have links to those test @redrays ? I would like to have a look at them too.
    @TheGypsy - I'm not aware of anything public, which isn't surprising given the sorry state of seo publishing these days. The results I've seen are from my own tests and what's been shared in various Skype groups. However, you should be able to replicate fairly easily and cheaply.
  • I'm rather just curious what others are doing maybe something tickles my fancy and I dive into it. To be honest I'm not particularly fond of those domains so I find little interest testing them.
  • I'm not fond of them either BUT I have tested and indexing is no different, I do find rankings to be 10-20% less than a .com in the same niche, different hosting, content, but as similar as possible without any flagging for duplications.

That said I've just invested a lot into some new sites and the domains I got were .co, .blue, .exchange and a few others, so I'm not really that bothered it seems :)
    Indexing is only the same with a small number of pages, with the limit probably being a 1-2k. Once you get beyond that you'll notice huge differences in the amount of pages that get indexed. Speed is different regardless of how many pages - cheap extensions tend to take anywhere from a few days to a full week longer to show up.

I think the domains have some use, but only if you're looking for something disposable that you only want for one year. If you plan on building a long term pbn it makes no sense at all, since the prices are virtually the same as quality domains in year 2 and beyond.
  • That indexing is no different just makes sense. If you put indexable content on a page it gets indexed. I wonder why the ranking difference is there but to be honest I'm not even sure that 10-20% is statistically significant or not.
    Well, I guess it wouldn't hurt much to grab a couple and get my hands dirty with testing...
    Real testing using the "scientific method" must control for all other variables. lol

Otherwise we end up with tons of anecdotal experience, including my own.

These are surely not worthless, just not quantified or exact, and confusing to try to make a clear picture of.

In fact, I think such experiences maybe are best in that they lead to further research on our own.

A real project would never be built in such a way as a serious A/B test, and therefore testing is difficult in the real world.

Different goals.

In fact, you'd have to have at least two projects, and probably many more for a statistically significant sample, and the goal wouldn't be to "rank", but simply to be sure everything is done as similarly as is possible, WHATever it is. 

You COULD both try to rank and do a super-fair test, but in real life, you'd have to subordinate the effort to rank to this experiment. lol

Definitely interesting topic...

"Well, I guess it wouldn't hurt much to grab a couple and get my hands dirty with testing..." -@TheGypsy

That's a cool idea and I'm sure you'll have fun in the process, and hopefully get some coherent data!! :)

@Deeeeeeee - stop spamming the forum with these long winded, content free posts please.
    @redrays- Sorry. I'll try to keep future posts brief and focused.
    @redrays- I am also sorry if I seemed to be dismissive toward your data regarding this topic.

I was not intending this.

I definitely do appreciate your shared experiences and found the info worthwhile and helpful. 
  • rossfrazier8rossfrazier8 Panyu Road, Shanghai
    it can be used for PBN, but I prefer to use com, net, org and edu.