Skip to content

"GSA Search Engine Ranker...has stopped working"

I've been getting this a lot through the last few weeks. I never said anything but I'm just tired of it now. SER crashes around 3-4 times a day and I found myself spending a lot of time babysitting everything.

It's running on a VPS (win 2012 x64) with enough ram, CPU and bandwidth. Sometimes the CPU spikes to 99% and it crashes, but on other occasions it can run for half an hour on 99%, go back to 20% and crash after 5 minutes so I'm not sure it's related to that. I remember when I was still running 7.2x or so, I rarely ever got this but it's been too many updates already since this happens regularly so I can't tell with which version it started.

I've even reverted to just running SER with 40 threads (bye bye, lpm) but it still happens....

Anybody got an idea?

@Sven is there a way to get a debugging message/crashdump or something when this happens?

Comments

• SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    Well if this happens it is already to late. On normal bugs (oh well no bug is normal) from my source code it would show a "Bugreport" window and let you send it to me. If that does not happen then it's some deeper problem. Couldn't it be some other issue from the system itself? I haven't heared anyone having such issues.
  • Well...what else could be causing this? I have no programming knowledge so my ability to troubleshoot is very limited. I see that even with 40 threads SER spikes up to 80% CPU usage and shortly after back to 20% again which is probably not normal?

The CPU is an Intel Xeon E3-1245 V2 @ 3.4Ghz - but that should be enough to run even just 40 threads I think?

If there are any other ideas I'd be happy to hear them. Getting a new VPS/dedi would have to be my last resort.
    what do you have in options->filter->maximum site of a webpage to download? Maybe set that to the minimum of 1MB and let me know if that works better.
  • Just had a look, it was set to 5mb. Have reduced it to 1mb now.

However, I have the (very subjective) feeling that these random crazy CPU spikes are the cause for SER tripping over itself and stopping working. Any idea what could cause the sudden CPU burst?
    not really. Try to send a bugreport using the help button when the cpu is very high again.
  • Ok Sven, will do. Thanks.
  • Hi, I am also getting the same popup sometimes. I have had the filter already set to 1MB, what do I do to restart serengine and make sure is running? Just stop GSA and start again or?...Thanks