Skip to content

Changing Engines Simulaneously On Multiple Projects Changes Link Target Numbers

ronron SERLists.com
@sven - There is no easy way to title this problem.

Say that you want to change the engines on 5 projects, and all 5 projects are the same type (T1 or T1A) of project that uses the same engines.

Here's the key - Each project has a different link building target (20 per day per URL, 50 per day, 100 per day, etc). Now highlight all projects and change an engine and hit ok.

What happens is that the linkbuilding targets change across all projects, so instead of 20, 50, 100, etc. - Now all targets on all projects are changed to 20.

I brought up this issue a year ago, and it still happens. Maybe I didn't explain the issue clearly the first time. But I am hoping you can fix this as it makes the multiple engine change feature worthless. Not that it doesn't work because it does. But it changes other project settings, and that hurts the effort.

Thanks,

Ron 

Comments

• +1 --> I find that bulk editing doesn't work or does work but only partially. I put my projects into Groups too, which completely stops bulk editing across multiple Grouped projects. Instead now I expand all groups/projects and bulk edit per Group, and even then I feel like I have to check each one to make sure it worked. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.
  • SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    Well this option is applying every setting to the selected project, not just the clicked/changed one.
  • goonergooner SERLists.com
    I think there must be a better way to manage this, the edit multiple engines option is effectively useless.

How about for some of the main options you (like search engine selection, global list selection etc) you have these in global options then in each project you can select the global option or you can select a custom option.

That would allow you to bulk edit projects where the global selection is checked for that option, without changing other settings.

Makes sense?
  • ronron SERLists.com
    edited January 2014
    ^^+1 - It seems logical to me, but have no clue what impact that would have on programming.

I meant to write in the original post that I use Notepad++ to bulk edit files - exactly to avoid these issues.

Someone told me to that the universal editor works great, so I thought this bug was fixed. But he had all projects set to the same number - so he never witnessed the issue. I'm saying it is real, and it goes across all groups. 
    well thats why I have added that new function to change a single option for selected projects. Though I know it's just a temporary solution and not really nicely done. But right now it would take too much time coding something else, more user friendly.
  • ronron SERLists.com
    @Sven - I just took a look at it. It may not be pretty, but it is nice and easy to understand. Are you saying this method bypasses the issue I was having? If yes, then that's very cool.
    yes it should as it just updates that single option you edit.
  • ronron SERLists.com
    Thanks @Sven.
  • goonergooner SERLists.com
    Very nice @sven, thanks