Skip to content

Keyword Lists

What's the story with keyword lists for scraping? Should it be niche specific, or a generic list?

If it's generic, can someone point me to a list?

Comments

• SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    should be specific.
  • Sven: If I am running a VPS with 4 gigs of ram and 30 proxies, how many keywords is optimal for performance?
  • SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    Sorry, I have no clue really. Things depend on too many other things. Keywords are not the problem in most cases but other settings.
  • edited December 2013
    @Satans_Apprentice - I used to use specific keywords but I have some weirdly small niches so I have to use larger, generic keyword lists. I also don't subscribe to the relevance of where links are from, because:

let's say you have a roofing company and someone used your services, then linked to you from a car/money/marketing forum which had an 'off topic' section. Let's say this was a powerful forum that gave the roofing company's website a boost in the SERPs.....but it's an non-relevant link...my point exactly....plus SER will never run out of places to look for sites to get a link from. What is more important is if you want UK only domains, and therefore add !.co.uk !.org.uk !.ac.uk etc etc to the relevant part in Options.

I added 1 million keywords to a txt file but SER spat it out saying that 10MB was the limit for an imported list into the keyword field. I trimmed the file down and it looks like 530k is just under 10MB, so that's how many keywords I have. Make double-sure you don't use keywords as your anchor text (uncheck the box) or you will get some crappy results.

There are lots of lists around, Google them, or scrape your own. I'm using the same setup as you but 20 private proxies.
  • @judderman I have been having he same questions as still relatively new to GSA. I have been using my specific words I am trying to rank as the keyword text field, and then using anchor as the same, I was always curious on whether it was worth the time to get links on non relevant sites, but you make a good point.
    So my question is, when you get a huge keyword list, are you putting that same KW list into every project, or just using the tools and having SER identify and sort them then and there.

Also, are you then using any/all of the 3 options of "collect kws from sites", "use collected kws to find new sites", "put kws in quotes"

I never have these checked because of the beforementioned thoughts I had, but i assume this is why I have super low LPM.
  • ronron SERLists.com
    edited December 2013

I used to create a 3000 - 5000 word list on my niche, and stopped bothering with that altogether. It was too difficult finding links.

Now I'm using a 100,000 list that is split into files of 250 each, and I use it for every project. I never run out of targets.

For me, the important point is that you will rank your site based on contextual references to your moneysite. You have complete control over the creation of contextual properties. Then add in some high PR links and you have a winner.

The links that can be found with niche specific keywords, like blogs, are fairly unimportant in the big scheme of things - just my honest opinion.

p.s. Do a search for the 100,000 most used searches. What can possibly get you more results than the most searched terms on the internet?

• Trevor_BanduraTrevor_Bandura 267,647 NEW GSA SER Verified List
    @ron, maybe i'm searching for the 100,000 most used searches but I can't seem to find the list for free download anywhere.
  • ronron SERLists.com
    Oh hell, the link is somewhere here. Do a search. I think it was a downloadable file on BHF, and someone on this forum posted it here.
  • ronron SERLists.com
    Awesome link @gooner !
  • goonergooner SERLists.com
    Thanks @ron - I use those myself.
    Nice, another 100k to add to the list :)
  • Sorry to ask a stupid question, but what are the steps to split a large keyword list.
  • What are the benefits/disadvantages of putting the same kw lists in each project, vs. just using tools and importing and identifying?
    edited December 2013
    @squidward - You can use SER Tools, available here on the forum.

@tsaimllc - You are over thinking it too much, just put the keywords into the project and hit start. Job done. @ron mentioned the reasoning earlier in this thread
  • edited December 2013
    I use a general kw list for all my projects and have gotten great results(top 10+). I believe it's better to have a broad big list than a small list. Thanks Gooner and Ron for the lists, I was looking for something like this :)@Ron I can't download from that website, mind uploading somewhere else please?
  • edited December 2013
    @ron why are you splitting you 100k into 250? Are you going into a project every few days and switching to a different 250 or whenever it slows down?
  • ronron SERLists.com
    @cefege - I didn't post that, I just repeated it. Try searching the forum. There is another post that had a different download of the same thing.

@Wizzardly - I use the spinfolder token which grabs a different set of keywords every time. I do this on all projects. It is a permanent setting in all my projects.
  • What is the syntax for the %spinfile% macro? Using the macro seems to make a lot more sense than uploading keyword lists one at a time.

I tried the spinfile language, and it didnt't work when I tested it.
  • @ron very nice. I didn't even realize there was that macro. 

So question. Spintax for text is obvious. Every time a sentence is used, it chooses between your options. But how if Spinfolder used? Does it pick a random file at the beginning of the project and only use that file until the project is stopped and restarted? Or does it pick a random file each and every time it wants to do a search with a keyword? And if so, doesn't it just use the first keyword before it moves on to the next file each time?
  • I know I've said this a few times on this forum, but just to reiterate, SER can take around 530k keywords as that in a txt file is just under 10MB - which is SER's limit.....think bigger than 100k ;) Of course, if you use Ron's method of a macro spinning various keywords/files of keywords, that makes my 530k keyword list small....almost infinite number of keyword targets.
  • edited December 2013
    If someone has the 100k keyword list, please upload it somewhere else, I can't find it anywhere else. @Wizzardly, @Satans_Apprentice check out this post from @dimitribanks https://forum.gsa-online.de/discussion/comment/46131/#Comment_46131
  • ronron SERLists.com
    edited December 2013

Here is the macro I stick in the keyword field:

%spinfolder-C:\Users\Administrator\Dropbox\kwspins%

Obviously you need the correct path, so fix that. I found early on that grabbing the keywords out of Dropbox seemed to make SER faster, so I have stuck with that.

First, there's no drag on the system with a large list. Secondly, I used the SER Editing Tool from @kaykay to bust up that list into 250 each because then I know I am using a new list all the time. It is grabbing a new set of 250 keywords each time it does its thing. I believe that when the project is started, it grabs a new file. So each project is getting its own new file - because SER looks to the project file to determine which keywords to use. In my case, every project has that token. So it's fresh meat for each project each time.

• So... how do you import to the keyword field, or do we have to use the macro?
  • ronron SERLists.com
    Do you see that last part that says 'kwspins' - that is the folder where I have all my keyword files. That token uses those files. So you don't import anything.
  • Very helpful, thanks @ron
  • Ywah I saw your post which is why I said about using the macro, I just always hear people say "import" and "you can only import 10mb file" so I was confused.
  • @ron, so you're using a max of 250 keywords per project since that macro only grabs one file? That doesn't seem like much. Thanks for sharing the information.