Skip to content

When do you end a project?

May sound like a silly question, but when is it a good time to end a project?
Would you wait until submissions end completely, or maybe just switch to verification only to finalise those submissions yet to be verified?
Be interested to know when others are deciding that the project has served its purpose and can be deleted.
Tagged:

Comments

•  seriously

1. when you died

2. or 3 weeks before you die (if known)

3. or if subject of project = business or website NO longer exist

why?

A.
    competitors NEVER sleep
    the more useless a business / site
    or the darker a business  type
    = the more efforts and $ are invested into your competitors sites

the day you stop link-building NEW  links = is the day you start to lose positions
    by the time you see lost SERPS it may alr3eady be too late

B.
    sites carrying your links die
    millions of NEW sites are built AND millions of OLD sites are gone
    hence you entire link-world is volatile

if you have - or belief to have -- temporarily achieved your link-goal and SERPS

my suggestion then would be to schedule a daily small number of links to be added for as long as you live
    or until above 1 - 3 occur

it takes huge efforts in a growing competition to get into top 3 SERPS, but only RELATIVELY small steady efforts to9 maintain such SERPS
    SPECIALLY if you have created / accumulated your large global list, it should be easy to add a few new links every day automatically to replace all those lost ones from cleaned up domains or dead domains = dead / deleted links that need to be replaced

keep in mind that G sometimes adds new links within HOURS
    but takes up to many months to remove 404 from web sites
    hence you actual number of BL might be MUCH smaller than the one displayed in your G webmaster tools
  • edited November 2013
    I would never stop/delete a project for few reasons:
    1. links velocity:  getting less/none links suddenly is bad for ranking.

2. links are getting deleted and moderated, so you are always loosing links, if you get to a nice ranking i would always keep the tool running, maybe less aggressive when you get to your target ranking.

3. you will loose the project info when you delete it, like login to the web2.0 etc... you will be unable to delete links if penalized (by deleting the links SERP will actually try remove the links/post).

those are the top reasons i can think of.
  • thanks for the responses.

I guess I was curious to see if the projects would reach a point where they are no longer effective, but as you have pointed out they will continue to create links as new sites are discovered.

• 2Take22Take2 UK
    edited November 2013
    Interesting to see how others do things, but personally I run my projects in monthly cycles.

Once I've built my tiers out to the size I want them, I duplicate the project, start again, and move the old one to my 'Old Projects' group (for future reference).
  • @2Take2 - sounds like you've had SER for a while...are you seeing good results doing your monthly cycles that way? I assume you've tested leaving projects running for months then decided your 'cycling' was better? Interested...
  • @judderman, I'm not sure if it's 'better' to do cycles, it's just what works for me.

By building links in cycles it helps me keep organised, and also ensure (as much as I can) that I'm getting the amount of links that I want to each tier one property.
  • goonergooner SERLists.com
    @2take2 - Do you try and use new targets for each new cycle, like not using global lists and only freshly scraped lists? Probably not bothered too much about that i imagine?

• 2Take22Take2 UK
    edited November 2013
    @gooner - Good question - you've touched on a really important point there. :D

As you probably know from some of my previous posts, there are certain things that I'm not too bothered about, but not linking from the same domains between tiers is actually something that I'm a bit of a stickler for, and IMO is the kind of thing that will give you an edge over others who aren't quite so organised.

It's actually one of the main reasons that I build my links in cycles, as even if I'm using SER in conjunction with other tools, it makes it much easier to achieve with the built in features, as opposed to just running it as one continuous project and getting myself into a mess. It also makes it a lot easier to keep track of live links and indexing, at least for me.

Also, when I duplicate my projects I don't delete the target URL history so that I'm not posting to the same domains over and over.

• goonergooner SERLists.com
    Yea that makes a lot of sense. Pre-SER i used to always build my links in cycles but with the "per day" option in SER i thought it would be better to take advantage of that and make my life a bit easier too.

But you can make a good argument as to why cycles might still be the way to go.

That's what i like about this forum, no matter how much you may know about SEO/SER there's always something you can improve on another way to look at things. Nice post.

• BrandonBrandon Reputation Management Pro
    I stop my projects when I run through the site lists.
  • edited November 2013
    @2Take2 you said "Also, when I duplicate my projects I don't delete the target URL history so that I'm not posting to the same domains over and over."

Do you run into issues with SER using previously created accounts to edit the URL? So for example changing the URL in a forum profile link?
  • I'd be interested to get some more detail on duplicating projects as this is something I've not done yet.

I can't quite see how duplicating a project and re-running it is different to leaving it run continuously if the same settings are used?

• 2Take22Take2 UK
    edited November 2013
    @gooner - I see what you mean, and I would imagine that with your 100 odd projects it could end up being a bit of a ball ache to split them up like that, especially if they all started at different times.

@wizzardly - Not to say it hasn't happened, but I've never noticed that issue before. I do however also have the option checked not to post to the same domain more than once.

Either way, I only use contextual platforms for my tiers, so I'm not really too bothered about things like forum profiles as they would just be supplementary links anyway.

@flowerbaron - in an ideal world you would just set up a project and leave it running, which some users do and see good results - it's just a balance between control, resources, and time I guess.

For example, say you have a project where you've built 500 tier 1 links, you then stop that project and run them through a link checker and find out that although all of the pages exist, 50 of those pages have had your links removed for whatever reason.

You subsequently remove those URLs from your Tier 1 list and import the remaining URLs into your tier 2 project as targets, making your campaign 10% more efficient than if you hadn't have bothered.

Also, say you're building, for example, 50 links to each tier 1 property, you could have potentially built 2500 links for no reason at all, links that could have gone towards powering up the tier 1s that actually link to your website, making your campaign even more efficient.

If you just run your projects continuously it makes it difficult to keep track of such things, whereas if you run cycles and duplicate the projects it makes it really easy.

IMO a big part of Link building is about resources and how you use them, so if you can use the resources that you have more efficiently, then you will get a lot more out of your link building efforts.