Skip to content

Details On Using Catchall Emails

Comments

• Hi Guys

I'm new here and am loving the software so far. I know a lot of people have been pushing catchall email addresses.

I have experience of this as an Senuke user. What i found was that the catchall worked for a while but then it wasd too easy for the forum (or other platfrom) moderator to blacklist my entire domain i.e. anything from @mydomain.com

This is effect made it easier to be identified as a potential spammer rather than harder. I'm not sure if you have come across this.
  • @baclinker

how many catchall domains are you using with Senuke ?

Do you find that a lot of forum sites blacklist your domain ?

do you submit to the same site over and over again ?
  • sootedninjas

I dont want to go too much in detail how i use nuke as its not the purpose of this forum post.

I don't think you read my two posts correctly. I never use catchall and strongly advise against it. It gets you banned quicker and not just for one project but for all your projects as your whole domain @mydomain gets banned. As this is used on multiple projects and multiple accounts they all get banned.

Yes - A lot of forum sites blacklist your domain and delete all accounts relating to that domain.

In nuke - yes i do submit to web 2.0 sites repeatedly and others i dont. If you are a nuke user i suggest reading a very long forum post by 'topps' -- you will learn a lot.

This isn't the right forum to discuss senuke though..........
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    @backlinker - is this mainly for forums that you experienced this? What about other platforms?
  • Mainly forums but can happen quite easily across multiple platforms too. Any site that moderates or uses resources like stop forum spam can blacklist whole email addresses i.e @mydomain.com
  • Mainly forums but can happen quite easily across multiple platforms too. Any site that moderates or uses resources like stop forum spam can blacklist whole email addresses i.e @mydomain.com
  • @backlinker

yes. I have read your post and I'm not asking you how you use senuke.

What I'm trying to determine is the catchall strategy that you used. That is why I ask the following question because it will help immensely to figure out how to get around the situation that you have mentioned.

1) Are you using just one catchall domain name on all your senuke submissions ?

2) "yes i do submit to web 2.0 sites repeatedlyb"
    using the same account that was created ?
  • "resources like stop forum spam can blacklist whole email addresses"

for one thing I use the domain filter to NOT post on those sites that had contributed to stop forum spam.
  • sootedninjas

It doesnt really matter which strategy I used. The main thing is:

anything after   @mydomain will get banned.   You can spin the parts before it as much as you want but the whole domain can get banned @mydomain. If done manuallly then any profiles/accounts using this domain can be cancelled immediately. I used a spun catchall email address like spin1@mydomain.com  spin2@mydomain.com to allow me to use a lot more email addresses than nuke provide and to privide initial higher sign up rates. Many sites wont allow hotmail but will allow @mydomain.  For me the ONLY reason i would use a catchall is to sign upto sites that don't allow hotmail. They are less lilely to be spammed.

2) Again this is about nuke usership which isn't the point of this post. I create all web 2.0 properties in a project campaign  called repost. I post unspun quality content first with an image and a video and no link. I let these sit for a week. I check how many are alive and delete the ones that have been killed off. I now have a set of web 2.0 sites that i can repost to easily by creating a new 'social network' project. I now post a new spun article with a link. After a few days i check these and delete any that have been killed. I now create a new 'URL List' called 'Live Links' - these are all the social network articles that are alive. Repeat his process and in future submission you can add either or of 1) A link to a money site or Tier 1 direct or by using the random token from the 'money site' list. You can also add a random string to draw a url from the 'live links' URL list. As you keep adding posts and then adding the live links to live links you end up with a very well interlinked network that is completely random.

Does that help?

• sootedninjas   our posts crosssed. I see your point about not posting to those sites. Thats how you choose to work. Im just making people aware of the dangers. Not every one:

1) has that list
    2) knows how to get it
    3) knows how to use it
    4) wants to miss out on posting to those sites because when done well they can be very good links
  • thanks for the info you provided. the forum is about the exchange of ideas to make it a better and effective tool.

the list is available to everyone because it is an available setting in the project options. also, I use multiple catchall domains. so each project will have its own catchall domain name. it also helps speed up GSA SER verification.
  • @sootedninjas I'm looking on the project - options page, but I don't see where that list is you mentioned .  Are you referring to the blacklist on the GSA main options page?
  • my apologies. it is NOT on the project options BUT it is in the global options -> filter. you will see the stop forum site listed. this is the site that collects reported blacklisted eMails and the site that reported the eMail
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    @backlinker - I'm not following you on when you say "not every one:" onwards. I didn't see the other post so it's a little out of context for me. What other post are you referring to so I can see what you mean here?
  • edited December 2012
    This is a very useful thread , thanks everybody for the tips.

So @DavidA2 @takeachance @Ozz

Any of you guys had some experience with the blacklisting of the full catchall domain *@catchall-domain.com ? as @backlinker mentioned in his latest posts

Or is it something I should not worry too much about since it's not that common ?
  • I know i wont be registering with google so google will not know my email but i i use a domain that i have will this domain be considered spam at all if i keep using emails from this domain and accounts keep getting banned? Or is this safe for your main domain?

Thanks
  • The macro used in this thread for catchall emails leave a big footprint, i tested with the list on sfs (30 last days emails) :
    http://www.stopforumspam.com/downloads/listed_ip_30.zip
    with this regex (you can check with notepad++, ctrl+f and enable regular expression) :
    ^\w+[\.|\-|\_]\w+19\d{2}@.*$

I found around 10k results ,
    Then i cheched if the domains names of these results are present on this list (domains of spammers) :
    http://www.stopforumspam.com/downloads/spamdomains.zip

And
    the only domains names present are the free adress mail (hotmail.com,
    mail.ru, hotmail.fr, in.com, aol.com, sify.com, yahoo.com.vn, yahoo.ca,
    list.ru, gmx.de, gmail.ca, hotmail.co.uk).

Majority of the
    domains in the sfs list are not resolving (random domains used when no
    email verification required like *@zzykmooefx.com, *@zzyphccm.com,
    *@zzysiy32.com, *@zzyuzdwc.com, *@zzyxdimlbh.com etc...).

I think this sfs list is a big joke (contains a majority of non-existent domains and free emails) and using catchall is the right choice.
  • @sawa73 thats good news,

which brings me to the next question, i have crons setup on my email domains to delete all whats older then 5 days, however when SER checks i still have like 10K emails to check thru, i prolly should get more fake email domains, what numbers you guys have?

• @Oil .. I had the same problem ..its seems that the cronjob is not working as it should for some reason. I made SER delete emails from the project settings. It's better than the cronjob so make use of it.
  • heads-up. do not use .tk domains. they have an anti-spam usage in the TOS. My suspicion is that an admin reported one of my domains is spamming their site then suddenly all of my .tk domain disappeared from the .tk registration site.
  • if you are using .tk then check your .tk registration account and see if your registered domain are still active.
  • Thanks for this great info David.

I see this thread is about 6 months old now and that there is now an option in GSA SER to "delete all messages older than x amount of days. So I guess the handy info you put together for creating a cron job is no longer needed?
  • MrXMrX Germany
    Not really, you can use the catchall function aswell which creates super spun email adresses on autopilot. Anyway, I am not sure how reliable deleting all email via pop3 is, maybe some backup delete via cronjob isn't that bad.
  • MrXMrX Germany
    Sorry for double post:
    How do you guys use your catchalls ?
    I just setup like 5 catchall on different domains and loaded them all to every single project. So GSA should use a unique emailadress for every single submission now. Does this affect the speed in any way ? 
  • hmm i use something like this %name%%random-a-z%%random-a-z%%random-111-9999%@xxx.com
  • Hope noone's gonna laugh at me now ;) 

but what do i need that cronjob for?

If i set only 1 Project that uses my Catchall to "delete if older than 3 days" it will delete EVERY email in that account that is older than 3 days.

Problem solved. Or do i misunderstand sth?

• the "cronjob" was usefull before the option to "delete email older than XX days" was implemented. it is obsolete now when the "delete email" function works as expected.
  • Ah okay thx ozz.
  • the only thing that I don't get is where to put the "%spinfile-names.dat%{.|-|_}%spinfile-lnames.dat%%random-1-9999%@catchalldomain.com" part?
  • SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    edit project->email accounts->email.