Skip to content

Details On Using Catchall Emails

Comments

• edited December 2012
    @sven

as a follow-up to my previous question.

How about if the spinned @domain.com for the eMail are on DIFFERENT host not just 1 host BUT different host for the domain and all of the eMails are forwarded to another host that will act as a catchall host and pop3 server.

In this case NOT all eMails are coming form the same IP address over and over again which can be a massive footprint.

Also, having 1 host acting as the POP3 server, I can use that same POP3 server on all my GSA SER projects.

conceptually it's doable. right ? Will GSA SER have a problem with this kind of configuration ?
  • SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    no this is no problem and should work. As long as the program can read all the emails it will never be a problem from where these are coming.
  • edited December 2012
    very cool. another follow-up question if you don't mind.

as I have eluded on my previous question, I plan to spin multiple domains in @domain.name where the domains are on different host thereby somewhat reducing the footprint because it will be in different IP addresses. Also, ALL GSA projects I will set-up to use only 1 pop3 server.

so the email set-up ON ALL PROJECTS is in this format:

%spinfile-names.dat%{.|-|_}%spinfile-lnames.dat%%random-1965-1990%@{catchallDomainA.com|catchallDomainB.com|catchallDomainC.com}

However, down the line there could be a major issue if I set it up this way.

Let's say catchallDomainA.com was somehow blacklisted that all eMails coming from this domain are automatically blacklisted.

If I have 100 projects, then I have to edit all projects that used the eMail format %spinfile-names.dat%{.|-|_}%spinfile-lnames.dat%%random-1965-1990%@{catchallDomainA.com|catchallDomainB.com|catchallDomainC.com} to delete out catchallDomainA.com because it was blacklisted. This becomes a big PITA.

Is it possible to enter in the Project eMail set-up to read a text file and in the text file I will have actual eMail format %spinfile-names.dat%{.|-|_}%spinfile-lnames.dat%%random-1965-1990%@{catchallDomainA.com|catchallDomainB.com|catchallDomainC.com}

So in this case where catchallDomainA.com was blacklisted all I have to do is edit the text file and delete catchallDomainA.com, save the text file then restart GSA SER. After the restart all of the 100 projects using that specific eMail format is updated easily.

Regards.....
    edited December 2012

another option would be to use e.g.

%spinfile-emails.txt%

and put the spin syntax in the file emails.txt. Than you can simply edit that file on changes and it will apply to all projects.

• absolutely awesome. muchos gracias :)
  • LWDLWD
    edited December 2012
    @Sven well that actually solves my problem with hotmail as well if that works LOL. :)
    I will set up like emails-project1.txt emailsproject2.txt as well and simply replace email files instead of setting up everything manually in software!!! A_W_E_S_O_M_E! :)

EDIT: Naaah it won't work as on the E-mail Verification I can't use file in the Login and Password field...

I wanted to generate one line file for each and simply replace current files with new ones and it would change email. That works on the "Data" tab just fine, but it does not work on the "E-Mail Verification" tab...

@Sven Would you consider enabling E-mail Verification tab to use "%file-emails.txt% or "%spinfile-filename.txt% ?

Or that's not an option?
  • yup. it will not work for hotmail because each eMail will have a different username/password for the pop3 server. however, with a catchall you are just actually dealing with 1 username/password for pop3 thereby it will work on all projects.

however, what would probably work is create 1 hotmail eMail that will serve as your POP3 email and forward all your hotmail eMail to that eMail so that all projects can use.

I think that should work. right @sven ?
  • @sootedninjas
    Yes but Sven says that each email that is connected to single project takes care about that project and reads data about that project (user names, passwords, clicks links etc)...

So if I setup on ALL projects:
    %spinfile-names.dat%{.|-|_}%spinfile-lnames.dat%%random-1965-1990%@{catchallDomainA.com|catchallDomainB.com|catchallDomainC.com}

and forward ALL
    catchallDomainA.com
    catchallDomainB.com
    catchallDomainC.com

ALL to ONE email account, let's say myaccount@mydomainusedforthis.com

and everything get's randomized, how is GSA going to know if:
    * email1@catchallDomainA.com is submitted for Project 1 or Project 35 or Project 37?

Huh? :)

Or GSA notes this somehow?
  • From the way sven responded to me GSA notes it somehow. so @sven can confirm this.

Also, because of the randomness of the generated eMail account that chance of having

email1@catchallDomainA.com used for  Project 1 or Project 35 or Project 37  is very slim.

If you look at it closely in the resulting email id - 1st name is spin, a separator is spinned {.|-|_}, the last name is spinned and lastly a random number is suffixed to it too. There are 4 parts of the eMail ID that will have variations not to mention the number of email domain host you are using.
  • edited December 2012
    so yeah it will be unique. the odds of using duplicate eMail is prolly in the tens of millions :)
  • LWDLWD
    edited December 2012
    @sootedninjas
    Well I didn't said exactly what I mean but you catch my drift on this exactly what my point is. :)
    So I do understand that same email won't repeat itself and that is fine...

After looking at files from GSA I can notice that file projectname.static has information about logins, passwords etc... But I don't understand following if let's say I set up mails as suggested above and forward them all to ONE account and following happens:
    * ProjectA get's random email ProjectA@catchallA.com
    * ProjectB get's random email ProjectB@catchallA.com
    * ProjectC get's random email ProjectX@catchallC.com

Now ALL of the above go and register to ArticleSiteX.com now ALL CONFIRMATION emails are going to the SAME inbox. So how is GSA SER going to know that confirmation email is actually for ProjectA ProjectB or ProjectC?

That's my question? Does GSA SER keeps record of that somehow?

Now, if GSA SER was doing only clicking on the links, I would not worry about this, but Sven wrote on other thread following (quote):
    on email verification it will 

1. open all urls belonging to a submitted link or registration

2. extract logins/passwords or other data thats required for the next step (login, url to continue...)

3. collect links in case verification of submitted links is done this way.

So what happens in the case above?

It is clear to me that if following happens, GSA Registers on sitex.com and stores username or email or some important information to projectname.static like this:
    sitex.com:::userX:::emailX

then when email is opened it will try to match userX or emailX (depending on the platform) username/email what it has stored and extract password? So this makes sense and this would work with mixing everything up and sending to one email... But does it?
  • edited December 2012
    @sven will need to confirm this.

I am also a computer programmer so the only way this will work is that the app, GSA SER in this case, needs to track via DB all submissions and pending account approvals. Which I believe it does. Also, each submission will have an email ID or user account attached to it so that is a mechanism to track.

Also, the way I see the eMail assignments will work is:

1) If you use a static eMail account e.g. myname@myonlyemaildomain.com, then all site submissions for that specific project will have myname@myonlyemaildomain.com. - MASSIVE footprint that is why it gets blacklisted very fast. Just run the project for 1 week and if you are using the same eMail ID for 4 tiers of a campaign, this eMail will be used 100s of thousands times if not more. In 1 month it will be used in the millions of submission done for all 4 tiers. so yeah it is bound to get blacklisted.

2) But if you use a spin email, what I'm not sure is if the 1st spinned email id for that project is going to be used on all submissions for that project OR every submission on ALL projects will have a UNIQUE spinned eMail ID.

As I said @sven can confirm what the exact process is going to be.
  • Thank you for this conversation, it really helps a bit... As I'm struggling with this and I need to solve issue and keep it autopilot as changing emails each day on 10-12 active project is "sort of fine", but what will happen when there are like 30 projects and I need to change emails on them all... I'm trying to figure out catchall thing to buy like 10-20 domains, forward them all to same email, or few of them and set n forget IF this works as we think it does...

Well you are right about DB, as actually GSA SER uses flat files as database, so project.static files seems to be actual database for particular project and that's static, even if it has registered to some website 2 years ago it will still remember login/user pass and such details in project.static file.

I have to say that we maybe have answered ourselves to this question for real, @Sven will need to confirm, but if catchall actually works, and GSA can extract whatevermail@whateverdomain.com and connect it to certain project, I can't see why it would not work if we point ALL CATCHALL to ONE EMAIL and set like 20 catchall domains, randomized and pointed to ONE email... GSA SER should recognize them easily...
  • yeah. it should work. In software development it is called Object Oriented design.

I would have to say that @sven designed this app so flawlessly that it became so flexible. That is one of the reason that it is a powerful tool.
  • @sven if you could just confirm this for me out of curiosity.

"But if you use a spin email, what I'm not sure is if the 1st spinned
    email id for that project is going to be used on all submissions for
    that project OR every submission on ALL projects will have a UNIQUE
    spinned eMail ID."
  • Thank you. :) I'm not much of a programmer, I do a bit of PHP programming and that can finish things up for myself and automate some things but not much of an expert especially not for Object Oriented Programming. :)

This is the most powerful tool that I have ever worked with I must say. So stable, simple and yet powerful, does what it needs to, this is pure genius design... Especially with Sven who keeps fine tuning it by user requests on a daily basis this is really amazing...
    @sootedninjas I kind of lost what the question is here but you really don't have to worry about email verifications. The program knows what email belongs to what project and it is not identifying it on the email int he email message-header but differently. 
  • LWDLWD
    edited December 2012
    Thank you. :) That's all what we needed to know. :)

Ah sorry I need to confirm before I setup everything in GSA SER @Sven so this setup will actually going to work:
    If I set up mails and forward them all to ONE account and following happens:
    * ProjectA get's random email ProjectA@catchallA.com
    * ProjectB get's random email ProjectB@catchallG.com
    * ProjectC get's random email ProjectX@catchallC.com

Now
    ALL of the above go and register to ArticleSiteX.com now ALL
    CONFIRMATION emails are going to the SAME pop3 inbox. So GSA SER is going
    to know
    that confirmation email is actually for ProjectA ProjectB or
    ProjectC?
    @LWD no it would confirm each URL but still doesn't know what email belongs to what project. Usually this is not happening as it is very unlikely that all emails come in from same site for different projects. But even if so, the emails get verified and submission starts to them. Even if you click the links manually and the program does not see the emails, it will continue to submit to the sites just before it removes the sites from database (timeout).
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    Can you use the option to set a file under EMAIL Optionns for Pop, email and login and password? This would be neat, then we could use one .txt file with all details for multiple projects. (Useful on slower internet connections) 

i.e. so it uses the contents of a .txt file in the email options fields?  (When I last tried about 10 days ago, it wouldn't work)
  • @GlobalGoogler
    I asked the same but with no response...

Just enable us to use %file-emails.txt% on pop3 password field and email field would be helpful a lot...
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    @LWD - Agreed! On all the options under the email tab! 
  • there is no need to maintain multiple pop3. just forward all your catchall email to the pop3 email then all of your projects will be using just 1 pop3 configuration. one of your catchall domain can act as the pop3 domain.
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    @sootedninjas - are you referring to ensuring that ALL your catchalls forward to a hotmail that is checked?

• hmmm. that would prolly work too. But what I was suggesting was using one of the catchall domain as pop3. But yes if you forward all your catchall email to 1 email then the pop3 of that email will act as the pop3 server for all of your projects.

I ask @sven about this. see the question I ask on Nov.30 and @sven reply on Dec.1.
  • edited December 2012
    @sven

from your thread response on dec 2.

"another option would be to use e.g.

%file-emails.txt%

and put the spin syntax in the file emails.txt. Than you can simply edit that file on changes and it will apply to all projects."

actually it was %spinfile-emails.txt% the previous one was giving me an error message

ups you are right. The %file macro would have read the whole file while spinfile takes a random line.
  • so in this file, if I only specify the eMail ID and in this case of %spinfile-names.dat%{.|-|_}%spinfile-lnames.dat%%random-1965-1990%@{catchallDomainA.com|catchallDomainB.com|catchallDomainC.com} THEN the POP3 server used will be the one entered in the Project eMail Verification Fields.

Can I mix in the new format from your latest update with the above format ?

account@domain.com,pop3server1.com,mylogin1,mypassword1

But in this case it will use the POP3 server identified for this specific entry instead of using the Project eMail Verification Fields.

Right ?

yes that will work as well