Skip to content

Going above 150T blows up my home-DSL connection while surfing /experienced users wanted!

edited April 2013 in Need Help
I wanted to keep the title a bit catchy..

here are my stats:
16MBIT down/1Mbit up
dedicated win2008 server, SSD,intel quadcore,4 gig ram
fritzbox 7170
100 mbit lan
(ipad, netbook, mac mini, and so on..)

this is the case:
If I set GSA SER to approx 150 T or above (swee spot seems to be around 100-120T where everything is ok), it slows down my home DSL connection on all computers, Ipads, Netbooks :-(

Its more "reaction", slow ping feeling, long wait time, than bandwith-slow feeling..

I can run GSA Indexer with 100 T and SER with 120 T: No problem. As soon as I go above 150T DSL slows down :-(

pingtime to a german server (heise.de) also increases after 150T.

what I did

Got a newer fritzbox 7360, with 500mhz cpu. my old one was a 7170 with 125 mhz cpu. dit not improve. send the new one back to amazon.

set the TIME-WAIT state in TCP to 30 sec, did not improve.

tryd to find the sweet spot in SER, its around 120 T.

check CPU, RAM, and so on with perfmon / taskmanager...

I cant find t hat error, that bugs me for 4 months now :-(

not, its not bandwith... neither up or down, I can monitor that with perfmon.
no, its not proxy, I got 20 buyproxies (5 would suffice, tested that..), and even it it would be proxy: I dont surf over proxy...
not, its not hardware...
not its not..........
no its not......
I doubt its the DSL, case indexer runs at 100 T and SER with 120T: great, SER runs at 150T, back to 56k-modem lag...

ANY hint is suggested.

Comments

• BrandonBrandon Reputation Management Pro
    I can almost guarantee it's your DSL...16gb down is your peak max rate, not your sustained rate.  With my servers I run sustained rates above 3mb/s.

Indexer and SER do two totally different things.  I can run indexer at 1500 threads but that would freeze SER in a matter of seconds.

The best way to test would be to get a $40 VPS for a month and if everything works on the VPS then I was right :)
  • I can pump that to approx 1,4MBYTES/sec down sustained. no probs .. so that cant be it..
  • edited April 2013
    SOLVED ;-)

500 T indexer, 100 T SER : no probs on other network clients any more.