Skip to content

Anyone using - Collect keywords from target sites?

edited March 2013 in Need Help

This is a 2 part question.

1. Is anyone actually using the features "Collect keywords from target sites" and "Use collected keywords to find new target sites"?

I just recently started testing this out, but find that it collects a lot of garbage keywords along the way. This might be good for 2nd-3rd tier, but this is more in reference to links pointing in to 1st Tier.

2. Does anyone ever use "non related keyword list" scraped websites for their linking to 1st Tier? If so, do you really think that niche related links play an important role in ranking your 1st Tiers? (I doubt there is truly a black or white answer for this)

I've got 2 polar opposite perspectives on this and am at war with myself as to why I really need to only use niche specific site links to point to my 1st Tiers. All niche related keyword lists have been primarily used up for my 1st Tiers, so I'm thinking I need to go after latent semantic keyword lists now.

Comments

• I do use this a lot.  I just don't see how after  lets say 5 months of running without constantly scraping new keywords and using those that it would be able to constantly find new sites with the same footprints over and over.    With always getting new keywords it should always be able to harvest.
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    I have been asking for a feature that allows us to use "related searches" option that Google offers. So you could have your base list of keywords, and then you could specify how many degrees from this you want it to use keywords for. This would give you an endless list of targets all niche related. The further degrees, the more it becomes unrelated. 
  • @Hunar - Yeah, I might start using this more as well as I just started, but the keyword lists it scrapes are horrible!! I guess, if you come from the train of thought that a link is a link, regardless if it's niche related or not, this wouldn't post too much of a problem for ya.

@AlexR - yeah I would +1 that feature. If you have a "feature request" thread open for this option, then let me know where it's at.....I'll +1 it.

Anyways....no one ever chimed in on the 2nd question. What is your train of thought on getting niche related links vs any links to your 1st tiers?
  • Well,  Obviously Niche Related Links are better.  I mainly like SER because of it's set and forget thing.   If I had to monitor and do all this extra stuff I wouldn't be able to use it.  I can setup a campaign with all this stuff and just let it go while i'm constantly making new sites.  

So I work in the link is a link.  But longer term and more "Stability"  You'd obviously wanna go after the niche related links 1st.

I put the stability in Quotes because I've done exactly what you are Suppose to do to get safe longer term rankings  and I've always been penalized when I tend to go against what G says I actually see better results.  This is just me though. 
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    I'd love to offer an opinion on this, but I'm trying to work out why my rankings have tanked across the board in Google. I think it's something to do with adsense or analytics or Google apps, but not sure. 

I'd say try and get niche related first, but a link is a link. So start with niche related and then broaden. 

I used the "always use keywords" setting for a while, but didn't get much traction with that so disabled it. 
  • @Hunar - yeah your more on point with my train of thought. I like the "set it and forget it" aspect of SER, so I guess I'll utilize more of the scraped keywords from SER, as my primary niche keywords are already used up. I've noticed within the short time of using that feature, along with "scrape competitor backlinks", I never run out of websites to get links from and all on AUTOPILOT.

@AlexR - Your rankings aren't being tanked because of Adsense, analytics, or Google apps. Thats a very far stretch which has never offered any validity. I actually had my rankings tank a few months ago during the Penguin update, but their slowly making their way back up to the top since I've acquired more 1st Tiers along with strengthening my current ones.

The "Collect keywords from target sites" and "Use collected keywords to find new target sites" are always going to bring you more traction. If their not, then you don't have both set and/or the keywords are not selected.