Skip to content

Questions about UTF-8 encoding of SER .prj files

DeeeeeeeeDeeeeeeee the Americas
edited August 2019 in Need Help
I'm a LOT confused. :(

To re-cap, I noticed my German and Polish descriptions and other stuff showed ?? where there are supposed to be non-English characters AND the separator between image files is showing as ?? as well.

This is even the case for .prj backup files, until I go back past a certain date.

It looks like when I mass-changed the project files outside of SER with a utility, at a certain point, they were saved as ANSI.

So far, does this sound right? Would I lose those specific characters, even when converting, or re-encoding, in UTF-8 from ANSI?

I see now that I have to go in and either replace the old set for the new .prj files OR use NotePad++ to cut and paste the areas where it's messed up.

Are there any other UTF-8 special characters that are used in the file anywhere?

I think I am going to try converting the ANSI to UTF-8 and compare the two, and see if there are any other issues with ?? AND to see what changes I've made to those project settings since the time of the last good UTF-8 encoded backups.

Many thinks, this is an issue I've been hoping to deal with for a while.
Tagged:

Comments

• SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    content is saved in utf8 without the BOM at the start. Certain chars however are used as seperations like 0x01 or 0xff who should not be used in any utf8 charset
  • DeeeeeeeeDeeeeeeee the Americas
    edited August 2019
    Thanks for helping out, Sven! I really appreciate it. :) This has been upsetting me for a bit. :(:( >_< >_<

OK, I'm still not so clear. That means that I have to be sure to save the new .prj files as UTF8 and NOT UTF-8 BOM?

Simply  converting thhe messed up files from ANSI to UTF-8 isn't working  b/c ANSI was language-specific? Or, is it something else?

"seperations like 0x01 or 0xff who should not be used in any utf8 charset"

Sven, I'm confused about this part. :( I will need to replace the ??s with those characters for the image files list within the .prj file, no?

• SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    that ?? display is usualy a sign from your editor that it don't know how to display this character. It is already editing this in utf8 I think and that 0xff char e.g. is no valid utf8 character and causes issues. If possible, you should edit it in ASCII/ANSI
  • DeeeeeeeeDeeeeeeee the Americas
    I think I get it now. I have to take the time out this next week and just re-do everything.

Just a big cut-n-paste job. lol Nothing crazy,really! :p