Skip to content

Is there a way to use both my own Forum Nick as well as Randomized GSA-SER default?

As I understand, the checkbox makes the field data get ignored. Is this correct?

If so, I would guess I have to uncheck the box, then add my Nick(s) on the field and have something like, either in the data field or in a file referenced in the data field:

{Nick|Nick2|#gennick[XYZ,5,10]}

What I am wondering, are the above numbers the exact settings that GSA-SER uses for it's default  randomize function when the checkbox is checked?

I am trying to have it be precisely the same as it is when I use the checkbox, because I am sure I am not quite as knowledgeable as Sven about what is generally the best setting for this field.

#gennick[XYZ,<min length>,<max length>]

This macro generates a random nick name with a character length between min length and max length. The first parameter is ignored for now. Just put anything you want for it.

Example: Hello #gennick[XYZ,5,10] Output: Hello DevinSan

In the example above the macro created a nickname with a length of 8 characters and inserted it in the text.

Comments

• SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    #gennick is an option you can use. However each engine has different settings. So depending on the "min/max length" and "alpha", "numeric", "upcase" "lowcase"....it is generating a nick/password whatsoever.
  • DeeeeeeeeDeeeeeeee the Americas
    Hi, Sven. :) Thanks for the info.

Just to be sure, that means when I have the randomize checkbox checked, GSA-SER is going to automatically use #gennick internally, and the program will change the parameters for #gennick, based on what each engine at the moment calls for?

So then it's really best to leave it the randomize checkbox checked?

Will your program also "fix" a nick name that, let's say, I have as one of a selection in the data field? 

For example, if I have {Joe|Mary|}{Smith|Kim} and GSA-SER chooses one of my spintax choices that are too many characters, or contain a numeral, and numerals are not allowed, does it automatically truncate/fix the username?

Thanks, as always!

• SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    yes SER will fix the content to extent or shorten your data so that it would fulfill the validation on a submit form. However, it really should be best if you let SER choose the content completely.
  • DeeeeeeeeDeeeeeeee the Americas
    OK, cool. Good to know this! Thank you! :)