Skip to content

Best Practice

AlexRAlexR Cape Town
edited September 2012 in Need Help
I have been wondering about using random names. 

Is it best practice to use random firstnames and surnames or to use a consistent one? 

Why use random and what's the benefit?

Just seems better to have a consistent presence and name rather than standard...but I see the default is to use random so wondering why?
Tagged:

Comments

• Because it leaves the lesser footprint. Randomize everything which is possible.
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    Surely this is such a signal to Google that it's automated? The can see the link and the names and find that all instances the user has a different name! A few different names might be normal, but for a website to have 2000 to 10000 different names and surnames...can't be hard for them to check this!

Or am I missing something?

• You have to get their view: What raises more flags related to manipulation of SE's: One Name (most times keywords are used) or 5'000 different? I think the first variant is much more dangerous (for them) than the second one. But only Google can give you the real answer.
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    Does anybody else have any thoughts on the above?
  • GiorgosKGiorgosK Greece
    edited September 2012
    I say random names it makes the page less detectable and less comparable to any other link you built if you have given enough choices (spinning) with titles/text etc
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    But what I am concerned about is that Google can see the backlinks. It can identify the platforms and can easily associate the names with the backlink. So here you have 5000 or 10000 different names for the same backlink? Just seems like the easiest signal that a tool has been used?
  • If you have 5000 or 10000 comments with the same name/keyword then it looks like using a tool to BUT additionally that you want to cheat the SE by pushing your keyword.
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    @Bytefaker - great point about the number of comments. There almost needs to be a middle ground...maybe 20 or 40 profiles and then it'll look more real. 

Just some thoughts...
  • I agree, that would be the best strategy :) I don't think this has priority for a lot users but it would be nice.
  • ronron SERLists.com
    GG, if you are not building links (which is allegedly against Google rules - HAH), then there should be 5000 different names for 5000 different backlinks. I'm speaking as a guy who's has been building websites for 14 years. Trust me, you don't want any footprints. Random names. A healthy diverse mix of anchor text, with a weighting toward the one you really want of course. But as random as possible.
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    @Ron - Thanks!