Skip to content

Google Will Soon Start Punishing Mobile Sites That Use Annoying App Install Ads

SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de

There’s nothing wrong with app install ads, but too often now, you click on a mobile search result, and when the site loads, a giant app install interstitial pops up that prompts you to install that site’s app. Those ads typically block all the content on the site until you find that little small ‘x’ to click away the ad (and chances are you will mistakenly click next to it and basically click on the ad, which then takes you to Google Play). Thankfully, Google today announced that it will soon start downranking sites that do this.

More here: http://techcrunch.com/2015/09/01/death-to-app-install-interstitials/

Comments

• Great for UX, but why only mobile and why only app installs? Intersitials are annoying on every device. 
  • SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    I guess mobile devices are just more important to them now.
  • edited September 2015
    I think so, and I think it's easier to differentiate between app interstitials and other interstitials. Might be be a real hassle to do this with valid cookie permission interstitials and the annoying leave your email/offer ones. 
  • Honeybee918zHoneybee918z 607 8th Avenue Youngstown
    That is a good news indeed after a long time, google must have done this before but if it is doing this now it is okay likewise. That small 'x' is annoying, I always click next to it and then the new page of the app opens there and then I get irritated.
  • Great. Now let's see sites that have those irritating popups for LIKE US ON FACEBOOK cover the page get demoted too.