Skip to content

Get your links indexed, period!

There has been a huge debate wether you need to get your links indexed to get the link juice or wether crawling alone is enough. I always was a proponent of the former, but it seems there is now a conclusive answer to this debate. 

This is what Gary Illyes from Google said today on Twitter:

Tldr; Get your links indexed!

Comments

• Tim89Tim89 www.expressindexer.solutions
    I'm not entirely sure if a crawled link alone doesn't yield any value but I totally agree, it's far beneficial for your SEO efforts to index your links.
  • 2Take22Take2 UK
    edited August 2015
    I agree, but I think it depends on the seo process to a certain extent.

We have to take into account that if your process uses links en mass, then there will always be that viral element to consider, and the fact that just sending spiders at your site through relevant links will help you to rank, even if the pages themselves don't actually get indexed.

I see evidence of this everyday with my spam projects. My indexing rates have never been worse, but my ability to rank, and speed in which I can rank remains completely unchanged.

Perhaps that's one of 'the few exceptions' he mentions?
  • edited August 2015
    @Tim89

Crawling alone might be beneficial because it forces Googlebot to notice and *hopefully* index some your lower tiers, but I think the benefit ends there.

Interesting observation. Maybe in the past Google pretty much ignored (the link juice of ) those links anyway, but now with the new indexing update they removed them from their index completely? There might be several explanations, but I guess this one sounds pretty plausible.

Regarding Gary's 'few exceptions' statement, I think he's referring to pages with a noindex tag. Matt Cutts previously said they accumulate and pass PR.