Skip to content

Delete Verified Folder Periodically With GSA PI?

@Sven I have to address this question specifically for you because I need you to tell me if there is any risk of losing or corrupting data with what I'm about to do.

GSA SER is set to save Verified List in folder VerifiedList. I want to set GSA Platform Identifier to scan that folder periodically for duplicates (every 15 min for example). However I want to tick the following options in GSA PI:

http://prntscr.com/78ayrd

Which means the VerifiedList folder will be deduplicated(while the files are copied to a new folder) and deleted then every 15 minutes by GSA PI while GSA SER is running. I am currently testing this, and I cannot see any bad thing happening currently.

I want to know the following: what will happen if GSA PI will perform the delete files operation in the same time while GSA SER is writing to file in the VerifiedList folder? I know the chances are slim, but is there such a possibility of happening and can it do any damage besides not saving a few links? Can it do some damage to the list where the new files are being saved like corrupting any file or so?

I know you haven't tested this and what I'm trying to do is an "extreme" scenario or "not recommended", but I'm just asking you from a programmers perspective to tell me what's the worst that can happen if another process tries to delete a file while gsa ser is writing to it?

Thanks!

Comments

• SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de

SER saves new entries to that file like every 5 minutes only. So when you set PI to an interval of 5+ minutes it should lower any risk. But, I also see no reason for this dedupe other than saving some disk space. I would not invest that much of a time here.

But there should not be any corruption happening.

• Thanks for your answer @Sven. The reason why I want to do this is a bit more complex. I'm trying to build one big verified master list, but let's not reveal anything too soon. I will be releasing a guide shortly after I test this well and I'm sure it works well. :)