Skip to content

Someone else using my copy of software :(

spunko2010spunko2010 Isle of Man
edited February 2015 in Need Help
I hope @Sven doesn't mind me posting this here. For the past few days my license keys have been frozen as there are loads of Indonesian IP addresses using it. I have 5x copies of the software so I don't know which one is being used.

Has anyone else experienced this and did you find the cause? I am trying to fix it. I've changed all passwords, updated antivirus and firewall, ran Windows update. Even yesterday I did not run run any of the software (they were all closed) yet Sven is saying someone is using it with an Indonesian IP (this was before I changed the passwords etc).  I have never given access to anyone.

I am not sure what else to try, does anyone have any recommendations?

Comments

• Have you ever used any sketchy vps/dedi providers in the past?
  • Well I use Berman Hosting for 1x of my licenses, if you count that.
  • I have read several past cases were users get licenses stolen from sketchy providers.

I am not sure if this is the case here.
  • spunko2010spunko2010 Isle of Man
    edited February 2015
    Hmm, I don't know either. I've cancelled the Berman server but I'm still waiting for a reply from Sven maybe he is busy.

I'm using Solid Seo VPS for the others, are they 'dodgy' ?
  • edited February 2015
    I dont think Solid Seo are. They are recommended within SER software.
  • Do a quick google search "Berman Hosting license". You might find answer.

From quick read they seem to clone machines.
  • Oh yeah, that's interesting. Thanks, I will forward it to Sven.
  • If Berman clones their VPSes they'd be cloning empty VPSes. When you license GSA you have to type the name and serial. I doubt Berman clones VPSes -after- someone installs software. They're just provisioning the VPS from premade templates which probably have the same hard drive volume serial number and other info they don't bother to change.
  • Well there's quite a few reports of it, so I'm prepared to believe it must be happening. All I want is my license back :D
  • I've read something about Berman Hostings VPSes working with other people's scrapebox licenses. That happened because scrapebox's license system used to work without putting in any credentials on a fresh install because scrapebox mistakenly assumed the VPSes hardware ID to be unique and belonging to the last person who activated their license on that hardware, even if that person had moved.

GSA never had such a licensing system and always required you to enter a serial and a name regardless of what the hardware fingerprint was. I think people just got confused and started jumping to the wrong conclusions about Berman. I don't know everthing about them but I doubt they have a policy of snatching any license they can get their hands on.

I'd ask someone to correct me if I'm wrong but chances seem equal that they'd correct me if I were right too lol;
  • spunko2010

Your license is safe with us. We get security audited every month by 2 security company to check for any security vulnerable in our system.

We never clone clients vps unless they request us to clone if for bulk purchase and we wont allow it unless Gsa ser is not installed and if any client who was with us and their service(s) was terminated, our system will auto destroy this vps within 36 hours after termination also for us to reduce our resources.

I would advise you contact Sven and ask him to suspend this license and provide you a new one.. Also its always better before you disconnect a service with any vps provider to use any registery cleaner software

Goodluck and sorry to hear about this
  • OK, thanks. Sven has issued a new license now, hopefully it will not occur again. I've closed the Berman hosting in case.
  • Are you sure you are the only one who has access to your email accounts ? I would check that in first case unless you do not have order confirmations from gsa on your email.
  • Yes, checked the Ip logs already....
  • If you switch to new server, make sure to delete all your stuff, that's what i always do when switching from old to new provider. :)