Skip to content

Unleash the Full Power of Your CPU!

Figured I'd write up a quick thread on this, in case your current OS install is throttling your CPU in half.  I've come to notice that some installs of Windows Server 2008 will have your power options defaulted to balanced and only utilizing HALF of your current CPU. Very nasty sneaky setting right?

Well changing your power options to high peformance should fix this but just to be sure I suggest utilizing this nifty little program called ParkControl to check your current CPU and also disable core parking on all of your cores.

Simply visit https://bitsum.com/parkcontrol/ and read up on "core parking" and download and run the program.

Once you run it, it will show you whether or not your CPU is being throttled. If it is or not, I also suggest disabling core parking while your at it. Simply change your "Current System Power Status" to High performance and click Disabled on the Parking AC setting of each of your cores. Click the "apply" and "make active" settings. All done. Enjoy!

Comments

• Thanks for this, I saw win server 2008 cap my frequency to 1.8 instead of 3.4 :)
  • This is not so good, because the CPU will be overheating all the time, I did this on my own PC and I disabled it after a day... there's no reason to do this, because Windows automatically unparks the cores if necessary. You can try doing this on your VPS, but I highly recommend you think twice before doing this on your own PC.
  • edited December 2014
    @mynameis940 - It highly depends on your configuration and cooling system. I agree that it may not be a good idea to do this on your own laptop or desktop unless you have a decent cooling system.

But as far as your SERVER (virtual or dedicated) I would hope they have a good setup. Why should you not be able to use the CPU in which you PAY FOR?

As far as SER it might be very little performance gain because yes windows unparks cores automatically but it doesn't do this efficiently with alot of apps. So I guess it depends on what your doing. The main reason I created this thread is because I've come to notice several servers being limited to only HALF of their CPU power.