Skip to content

SER eventually kills internet connection (except for pinging)

Hi,

Nearly every time I try to run GSA SER for more than an hour or two, it causes issues with my computer's internet connection. When this happens, the program continues running, but it is obviously no longer able to successfully complete processes that require internet access. Plus, it prevents me from even loading websites in a browser or doing pretty much anything else that requires a connection. BUT, I am still able to manually ping websites without any problem.

When I try to diagnose the connection problem, Windows 7 tells me "Your computer appears to be correctly configured, but the device or resource (www.microsoft.com) is not responding."

Sometimes the problem will seem to fix itself after some period time. However, I usually end up simply restarting the computer, since that generally fixes it right away. 

I have basically been having some version of this problem since I purchased and installed the program 2 months (and several updates) ago. Sometimes the program will run properly for a longer or shorter period before the problem occurs, but given enough time, it always seems to reoccur.

I have been through three different sets of private proxies, and they seem to be fine (especially since I am able to run Scrapebox with them for over 24 hours without any issues).

I am pretty sure I have SER set up so that everything that CAN run through private proxies IS using them. But could there be a GSA option I have set incorrectly that would cause this sort of problem? What else might be causing this to happen?

Thanks.

Comments

• Windows 7 so you use home PC?
    Home internet connection can be not enough for gsa if you are heavy user. Try to restart router instead of PC and check results. If this helps you need vps or dedi.

• Yeah, I have a quad-core PC (specifically dedicated to running SEO programs), and it is connected to my home router through my home's cable internet connection. When I run download speed tests, it always comes in at around 50 Mbs/sec.

But I'm happy to try out your suggestion in case that's causing the issue.

Note: none of the other computers running wirelessly through the same network seem to be affected when my SEO computer has these issues, although I'm not sure if that means anything.
  • Oh, and I don't know if this could be further complicating things, but I almost always access my SEO computer through a remote desktop connection on my home network.

When this problem occurs, I am still able to remote into that computer, but I just can't open webpages, download data, etc. on it.
  • Had that too sometimes, never in recent versions though. Or maybe I just didn't pay enough attention to it. Give it a minute or so and it will go away.
  • I was just able to re-create the problem. So, I restarted my router while it was screwed up, and it's been continuing to do the exact same thing ever since my home network booted back up over 20 minutes ago. I can still remote into the SEO computer and use it to ping something from a command prompt, but it can't do anything else that requires an internet connection. 

And if this problem normally went away after a short while, I wouldn't be terribly bothered by it. But unfortunately, it tends to stay this way for hours (presuming I don't eventually restart the computer before giving up on it).
  • I run a home server that runs 600 threads and averages at 10-15Mbps network usage peaking at about 30Mbps on a similar speed connection to yours so I don't think it's SER.

To check yours you can run task manager, click the performance tab and then click "Resource Monitor" in the lower part of the window. 

This will open the Resource Manager, which you'll need to click the Network tab.  You will then be able to see what bandwidth / resources SER is using

I would guess that you may need to invest in a higher spec router.  @Sven might be able to help more as I know he has answered this elsewhere on the forums
  • SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    yes sounds like a router issue to me. Get something that can handle the amount of traffic.
  • InezJordanInezJordan United States
    I also think that its a router issue and you may contact to your internet service provider for this problem sometimes the problem is on back end and we try to solve on initials. Thanks
  • peepbbpeepbb London
    I have completely the same problem like offbeat . 

I have 100 Mbit/sec and super hub 3.

Internet connection is very very very slow on SEO computer.

All other computers doing better, but not very good.