Skip to content

Ranking websites in long term (safer)

Hi.

I have a few websites I'd like to use GSA to rank for, however, I don't want to spam and do churn'n'burn and get banned in a few months. I want to be on the safer side, so I am asking if there is any tutorial/settings I should use for a safe link building campaign for my websites.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Would like to see some good responses from the reputable members like Ron, etc.
  • edited May 2014
    I would probably start off with a handful of contextual links with decent PR and less OBL ,and gradually increase the velocity over a few months.

There is no point in sweating it out ,I honestly think all kinds of automated link building is against G's guidelines and you can be slapped regardless of what kind of link building strategy you are following , all it takes is a manual inspection.

Wanna rank long term ?how about engaging content ?
  • @jonathanjon, I am expecting good responses from reputable members as well.. it's a very important project for me.

@spammasta, The niche doesn't have a lot of competition so I doubt I'll get reported for manual inspection. I just need a safe link building settings/tutorial, so I don't get spotted by their automated filters/systems and stay ranked in the top.
  • mynameis940, I have a few sites ranking using GSA to my money site. Not very high competition. I use a lot of engines also and not just contextual.

I'm testing out a method where Tier 1 is Web 2.0s and blast it either with most engines or just contextuals as Tier 2 (with Tier 3 being the more spammy engines). I would think that such a method would be more long term. @ron, @gooner and others, what do you think? Would love your comments.
  • You're 'expecting' good responses. Wow, well that usually means you won't get any. No one owes you so don't expect anything. If it's that important, then you should test and learn SEO yourself on throw away domains. Then, when you know what works, you can start on your important site. Or you could just machine gun it without any knowledge or effort in trying to teach yourself. 

What's important to you isn't important to others. From a personal point of view, my business is important to me and that's why I put a huge amount of effort into learning and testing and not expecting answers on a plate.
  • 2Take22Take2 UK
    edited May 2014
    A big part of ranking in the SERPs is 'risk vs reward', and simply put, if you don't know what you're doing, the more risky it becomes.

Or to put it another way, if you care about the site in question, then don't try to use it to learn SEO on.

I mean, I could rattle off a long post about different ways to rank a site, or even how to rank a site safely (or as safely as can be expected if your using tools), but without having any experience yourself, you would still most likely get it wrong.

As a couple of pointers though;

• Build a diverse link profile (so don't just build a tier1 that only consists of web2s)
    • Don't over optimise the site or the links pointing at it
    • (Generally speaking) Don't go to mad with the amount of links that you build (velocity).

And as already said, build some test sites and try different things out to see what works.

Also, don't be scared to try some things that go against much of the BS that is posted around the web, and always remember that google is a Robot, nothing more, nothing less. Feed it what it wants, and 99% of the time you will be rewarded with better rankings.
  • goonergooner SERLists.com
    ^^ "Also, don't be scared to try some things that go against much of the BS that is posted around the web".

That could be the most important thing about SEO you ever read. When you start testing on a large enough scale you will notice that a lot of BS is spoken about SEO.... Always test and believe your results, don't trust something to be true just because you read it here or anywhere else.
  • edited May 2014
    JudderMan ye the 'entitlement' mindset is the worst mindset for a noob to have.

Like others say its always risky nowadays but its just a matter of calculated risk.

Since your still elanring buy a bunch of other domains and just leave that one alone for the next six months while you trash a few sites and see what works.

Even 6 months is a very optimistic figure. it takes about 4 months to see traction atm i find so youd only just be seeing the first results of your initial tests after 4 let alone gathering working methods form it.

So more like a year or more. Guess you didnt wanna hear that :)

If not then its outsourcing time for you ;)
  • @2Take2 When you say "build diverse link profile" do you mean with GSA SER only or using other tools too?
  • 2Take22Take2 UK
    edited May 2014
    Hi @Don,

GSA SER is a fantastic tool for building diversity (amongst other things), but it's not really about whether you use tools, or which tools you use, as google cant really distinguish how a link was created anyway.

In general, a diverse link profile would include many different types of links, from many different sources, platforms/engines, IP blocks, and to a certain extent, countries that are outside of your target country but still speak the same language.

Just think about what would appear to be 'natural', mix it up a bit, and don't just use only one type of link/property because it happens to be 'the done thing' at the moment. Try to avoid footprints.
  • Thank you @2Take2 you explain it well :)
  • edited May 2014
    I've been on this forum site for quite some time, been reading and learning, trying things out, but when something doesn't seem to work I go back here and ask but I don't expect that someone will answer me the way I wanted it to be answered, all I do is if I think the answer is quite useful i'll take 50% - 75% of it and put it to work,

Believe me or not, I have managed to rank my very first blogger site by combining those small percentage of what I learned here plus my own experimentation, and I can say that it is worth it to try than to just speak around and read.

Leaders are Readers plus DOERS! :) Goodluck man! :)
  • @JudderMan, sorry, I might have used the wrong words. I just need some help.

@PeterParker, that's indeed a very long time, I need to get ranked in a shorter period of time. Don't get me wrong, I'm trying to be an ass or anything, but if I go for 4-6 months rank, my plan would literally fail so hard.

@2Take2, I'm mainly interested, whether I should go for a tiered building or not? What do you think works better?

@iSagani, Thanks for your input. However, It's my first time trying to SEO a website with TLD. I've done a lot of Blogspots, YouTube and other web 2.0s but they're all having high PA/DA and get ranked easier. And the cons using them is that you can get banned, which happened to me and therefore I'm moving to my own domains now.
  • ronron SERLists.com
    This will likely be my only post on this.

If I wanted to build a computer, probably the first thing I would do is get a hold of one and tear it apart. I would need to understand what's inside. In essence, I would reverse engineer a computer by studying all of its parts.

So if I wanted to understand how to rank a home computer in the search engines, I would want to take the top listing in the search engines and tear it apart. I would reverse engineer that competitor and study the snot out of it.

I type 'home computer' in Google and I see it is Dell - much as I expected. So let's take a look at Dell in just one of many research tools, SEOMajestic, and let's take a look at its anchors:

Hmmm, that's interesting. None of its anchors say "home computer". Yes, one of its slices in the pie chart has that phrase in it, but take a closer look:

Wow, none of the anchor text says "home computers", and the ones that do is just a link that has the title tag of their website - so it even wasn't Dell doing that - it was just people linking to their home page on their website. In other words, not one single link was made by Dell that said "home computers".

Now look at some equally amazing:

It was linked to by websites that had a lot of authority in the computer and home computer niches.  Think about that for a second. They are ranking #1 for home computers because other sites that have authority on that topic are linking to them. It makes a lot of sense that they should be ranked #1 if all the leading websites who are authorities in computers are linking to them. They don't even need the anchor text to contain the damn term.
    • Most of the links are for some related category
    • The next most are branded links
    • The next most after all that is naked URL
    In other words, they achieved all of this without one stinking anchor text saying home computers. And even the ones containing that term was just their title tag, which had 8 words in it.

You can draw a few important conclusions from all of this:

• Anchor text is not important
    • Who links to you - and what their websites are about - is very important
    • Branding is important because that is how most people link to you in real life
    • Naked URLs are important because that is how most people link to you in real life
    Now, do all niches work this way? No, but most do. And if you follow these re-engineering lessons, it is inevitable that you will beat your competition...over the longer term.
  • My take away from ron's post was to get links from websites in the search term or build a website from that search term. Going to take a peek now.
    The other thing you can take from @ron's post is that if you wanted to rank for a similar term as "home computers", you would need equally high authority links to do it.

Unless you are a computer manufacturer, those sites are unlikely to give you a link. So, in that case you would have to build your own high authority sites to link out to you in order to compete.

In other words, the easiest way to rank for that term would be with your own PBN. It would be hard to compete without those authority links.
  • @gooner, I'm mainly competiting in a niche WITHOUT competition at all. 0 websites targeting those keywords. But I want to be on the safe side and not get penalyzed when I rank.
  • Tim89Tim89 www.expressindexer.solutions
    edited May 2014
    @ron your theory is logical but I have another idea which would take rather long to explain.

some key points here to notice, yes we can all see that no anchor text contains the exact phrase "home computers" but if you split all of the anchor texts into 1 word phrases then total these up then factor in authority, then combine these individual words together for your desired keyword phrase, including the authority algo I just mentioned, perhaps you'll notice the same thing I have, which I've actually tested too and I have been experiencing what you've just now researched with my own sites quite alot.

edit: or perhaps they've decded to obscure their high importance keyword phrase back links which is quite common.
    @mynameis940 - If there truly is no competition at then your on-page SEO would probably be enough to get to page one. Thrown in a few hundred links and you are ranked first.
  • ronron SERLists.com
    edited May 2014

Prior to all of these updates, you were able to go after all of the bigger terms with anchor text, high link volume, high PR and all of that. But now the sheet of music has changed, and you need to sing a different tune. What @gooner said about authority links is very true...if authority sites won't link to you, then you have no choice but to build your own. So this now a much more difficult game. You need a T1 of really great links - not made from some automated software. 

Without a doubt you can get ranked in weaker niches without jumping through a lot of hoops. And I'm not slamming playing small ball because if you can put up enough sites, you can probably make a decent living doing that. Just understand that before you enter any market, do some analysis. That should be your most important takeaway from what I said.

Regardless, I am a huge fan of branding. And your branding can contain the key phrases. Put a spin before and after the key phrases with prefixes and suffixes of various terms.

• @ron With the branding, I believe you're talking about "blue widgets at bestbluewidgeter.com" kind of thing. There's this website I have seen which goes into the subject more, I don't know if the figures are rigt but the principle behind the reasoning is quite spot on for me? http://www.linksmanagement.com/natural-anchor-text-distribution-formula/
  • @ OP - sorry dude, I think I was on my period or something the other day LOL. No harm meant :)
  • "if authority sites won't link to you, then you have no choice but to build your own. So this now a much more difficult game. You need a T1 of really great links - not made from some automated software. "

Ron, GSA clearly doesn't give a lot of non-spammy links. And we know that your Tier 1s should quality and iwth authority. Let's say we focus on GSA and not PBN links. Would you say that we could get these authority links using GSA by having Web 2.0s as Tier 1s and then blasting it with GSA? So the Web 2.0 increase in domain authority. Would this be the way you do things if you want to use GSA (not PBN links) to create high authority 1st tiers?
  • @mynameis940

"I'm mainly interested, whether I should go for a tiered building or not? What do you think works better?"

It really depends. Tiered link building works, I often use it myself, and although it's a fairly safe strategy if done correctly, it isn't the 'be all and end all' of link building / ranking sites - Far from it.

You've got your niche and keywords, domains and shared hosting are cheap, so in your shoes I'd throw up a few simple 1 page wp sites, optimise them properly for your keywords, and spam them in different ways to see what works (with the added advantage that anything that does work will see you ranking for your desired terms at the same time as your learning how google works).

If it's critical for your business that you rank fast, then it's probably best to pay someone else to rank the site for you (not me), whilst you get to grips with SEO.
  • ronron SERLists.com
    @jonathonjon - You never know whether something will work until you try it. It completely depends on the niche, competition, etc.