Skip to content

High CPU load on VPS Recently?

Anyone else experiencing GSA giving the cpu a really hard time recently? Everything was fine for me up until a day or two ago, now its running the cpu into the ground at just a few hundred threads. I have tested this on a powerful 8 core vps just to see and its definitely an issue with GSA.

I havn't changed any settings recently, im running only 6 projects with imported lists (same as i've been doing the whole month) and its just eating up cpu like nobodies business.

Anyone else seeing this?

Comments

• goonergooner SERLists.com
    I'm also seeing this on one of my dedicated servers. CPU at 100% in task manager only running SER.
    Also started 2 days ago. Usually i run SER and other tools and CPU usage is less than 50%.
  • Hmm yes two days ago something changed. If it happened to you too id say software bug? @sven any ideas?
  • SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    two days ago? Well I haven't released an update over easter.
    edited April 2014
    @sven - I think maybe it's something in version 8.22.
    I think i updated 2 days ago or maybe i only just noticed the problem 2 days ago - I'm not sure.

But i can say for sure i am seeing 100% CPU in task manager and my server has 2x Xeon E5530 processors. Honestly, i never see more than 50 - 60% usage running SER and other tools too.

But now just SER uses alone 100%. I tried lowering threads, reducing maximum file size to download. But it only drops to around 90% at best.

I am running scheduler, 40 projects at 600 threads. I am pretty sure it should not be using that much CPU.

What do you think?
    hmm 600 threads...hard to say what it might be. I can do a profileing on the current code to spot the cause but I haven'T really changed much on the code that could influence this.
  • Yea it definitely started happening about two days ago. Its just eating the cpu no matter how many threads you do. Anything past 300 and it starts choking.
    But two days ago I haven't updated. Yesterday was the first update after easter!
    @hadoken - LOL actually you are exactly right. If i drop to 300 threads i get 20 - 40% CPU usage, if i increase to 400 threads it goes right back to 90 - 100%.

Weird!!!!

@sven - We really appreciate if you could take a look, thanks :)

• Hehe new it was somewhere around there
  • Latest update seems to be better, which is odd if you didn't touch any code @sven. I am currently running 900 threads at mem: 1.60GB and cpu: 20-50%
  • jjumpm2 what is your server spec ?

i'm running 2 projects 200 thread. CPu usage 60-90% lol
  • @lemonzer‌ similar timing for you as in last couple of days?
  • nope. i think it's from few days ago. 
  • @lemonzer

(2) Quad Core Intel Xeon 2.26GHz
    24 GB RAM
  • edited April 2014
    @jjumpm2 if u don't mind where did u got that server ? is it dedicated servers ?
  • i think mine is back to normal . 
  • Blog comments, image comments, guestbook will eat your cpu
  • @randomusername the thing is I haven't changed any of my settings for this to happen. @gooner are you still experiencing this?
  • im experiencing this, used to have 25% now gettin up to 100% CPU usage :(
    @hadoken - Actually it was my fault. I usually run projects from identified or verified folder, but this time i imported many URLs directly into projects and that caused the high CPU load.

I forgot i imported them. So i deleted the target URL cache and CPU is back to 10 - 20%.

• @gooner I am importing urls too but I was doing so previous to this without any issue. Is it a memory issue?

@sven would it help if I sent you my project backups? I import my lists directly from scraper - have been doing for the last month without any problem. I have a friend who is also experiencing this as well.
  • edited April 2014
    Just switched over to the method of pulling from the identified/verifieds folder and the cpu usage drastically dropped initially, but my lpm was alot lower. That was because many of the projects began verifying though. Now after I deleted all submitted urls and let it run, I am getting this issue again. 100% cpu in resource moniter on anything above 300 or so threads. I am running a 6 core ssd vps from solidseovps, and I tested this on a 8 core one was well with the same results.
    @hadoken yes please send me a project backup where you have a high cpu usage.
  • @lemonzer yes, dedicated - will PM you