Skip to content

Out Of Targets Feature Not Working Properly...

edited April 2014 in Bugs
Hi @Sven, a few months ago I requested that you added a feature to let users know when there's no more targets left for posting which you did, you added a dark orange color which worked for both imported list as well as global sitelist. You latter removed this on more recent versions and started to use  "Show Important Messages" functions (which is a much better improvement IMO) but the thing is, it seem that it only let's me know when there are no more targets on imported (targeted) list only. It seems to ignore the site list completely and continues to try to post to failed sites despite me having this disabled in my project settings..

I tested this by making a new identified list, posted a few targets, and let SER run through it VIA global site list. It has completed running through the list but once it's done, SER just sits there using 11 threads. The submission rate is no longer moving or the verified rate which is expected since there are no more targets and yet SER still tries to continue to post to failed sites. 

I have sent a video to you showing you what my SER is doing

Why is this such a problem you ask?

Well, the thing is most people who use list in SER, we like to create dedicated projects which will run through the (Identified) list until there is no more (that way we can build up our verified list). As of recently I noticed that I get better results if I simply import the list though SER "Import site list" function as opposed to loading them directly into the project, im not sure why, but it simply works better this way. But because of the problem I outlined above, if this does not get fix, I will never know when a project is out of targets since I only use global site list.

Comments

• goonergooner SERLists.com
    edited April 2014
    You still get that message when running from sitelists i think.
    @sven can tell you for sure, but i believe you see it when SER does not find a target for X minutes or X number of parses, something like that.
  • edited April 2014
    @gooner Hmm.. my project has been running all day and I have not seen this message.. I've actually used several list through the past and I never get this message for projects using global site list.

Also, shouldn't it only try 1 time unless you have the option "Continuously try post to post to site even if failed before". 

For example: 

As you can see, SER has tried to post this this particular site 5 times even though I have not enabled the mentioned settings above. This would make SER take longer to get to the bottom of the list.

If what you said is the case, Maybe there should be a new option under the global settings which after X amount of user specified reties, SER Never tries to post to the site again until you click on the "Delete Target URL Histiory" for a particular poject.
    The only reason i think it works is because i had a project to post to Wiki's only (there were only a couple of thousand in the identified sitelist) and i see that message for that project. Even if i restart SER the message comes back for that project.

I use "Continuously post" also.

For other projects that use more engines i have never seen it, but i figured that was because it was always able to find a suitable target.
  • edited April 2014
    All my projects are set to use only contextual links (web 2.0, social, article) thats it, and yet all I get is this (SER has been doing this for 7 hours straight despite there are only 1325 targeted urls which it has already went through): 

Maybe it get's disabled when certain contextual platforms are used?
    I don't know for sure mate. But i just imported a different sitelist, cleared that message and it hasn't come back yet. So it seems to be working for Wiki's at least.
  • SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de

when you use site lists it reads a random part from it and tries to post to them. It does not know when that is done.

However I think the reason it tires to submit again and again is due to the fact that you might have the project option "Continuously try to post to a site even if failed before" enabled!?

• I see, so that means because of the way it reads it cannot determine when it has reached the end of the list?

As far as the "Continuously try to post to a site even if failed before" I made sure I have disable this option before I began my test. I just doubled checked again and it is not enabled.
    ok then it is still finding some unproceed urls in site lists.
  • edited April 2014
    This dosen't make sense to me, why would it try posting 5 times or more on already failed sites just to find unproceed targets?
    Sorry I don't understand. The URLs it pulls from the site lists have not been submitted to by the project.
  • That's what did not make sense to me, I thought after 1 download failed, it would not try and re-post to the same site again unless you enabled "Continuously try to post to a site even if failed before" ?

If you view the picture in my ealier post you'll see that SER has tried to post to the same site 5 times... I only have 2 projects enabled during this test, both of which has "Continuously try to post to a site even if failed before" disabled.
    those are engines with a fixed url i guess...disable them.